SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thoughts on co-branding?

Im debating if i should co-brand my forums out to other sites, I know of 20 or so other cycling forums, none recive more then a handfull of posts a week, however most of these sites get a few hundred unique visitors a day. Really dead forums, great sites. I think an active community would help out all of these sites, thats why im thinking of co-branding my forums out to these webmasters. Is it a good idea? What are the pro's and con's of co-branding?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're willing to put the work into it, I say go for it. You have to consider if the sites you work with will give you an benefit, though. If they can't maintain active forums themselves, will they be able to help you? That's your decision, as it may be that the people who visit on those sites don't post because no one else posts, so it could be a vicious cycle, so they say. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Co-branding made my forums - I host official forums for various bands who're popular on the underground metal scene, and my page views have gone from ~30k a month to ~300k and growing.

If it helps build your network, then go for it. It doesn't really matter (IMO) if the other sites' forums only get a handfull of posts - just imagine how busy they would be if everyone from all the other bike sites visited each forum Consolidate them, and it will hopefully (and, I think, likely) succeed...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mahke, How did you approch your partner sites? What worked on getting partners? What do you do about advertising on the forums? Can i get a URL? Sounds like you have it made! Congrats on the success!

My forums do ~250k page views a month right now, i would like to bump that up to 1 - 1.5mil a month.

Im going to start a cycling banner exchange, and a cycling directory this month, to get my network started, i have a few ideas for the future, but no money to push the ideas, thats why i want to co-brand, get some money from the site, and grow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im debating if i should co-brand my forums out to other sites, I know of 20 or so other cycling forums, none recive more then a handfull of posts a week, however most of these sites get a few hundred unique visitors a day. Really dead forums, great sites
    It was the same situation over here in Germany - lots of mountainbike-sites, each of them having its own forum. I mailed most of the webmasters (personalized mass mail) and gave joining webmasters special rights and presented their site on a special "participating pages"-page (http://ibc.mtb-news.de) - now (1 year later) its the largest mtb-forum with users from germany, austria, switzerland and italy
    Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roadrash: I simply emailed the sites I wanted to host a forum for, pointing out the benefits of my forums over the likes of ezboard etc (I use vBulletin, so the benefits are plentiful), and told them they would have a forum designed to their specs.

As for advertising, I have none at present (working on an adkit at the moment), but once that's sorted, there will be a standard-size banner on the front page/or a forum-sponsor banner (akin to sitepoint's), then each forum will have a 250*30 banner at the top and bottom of each page.

I have about a 1 in 10 success rate for getting forums hosted, but being in the 'official band site game' myself, I know how some webmasters would want to keep complete control over their communities.

But, now I'm at the point where I've had people come to ME for hosting, so I must be doing something right! Now to try and make some of my investment back

www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/ is my forum Good luck!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info and replies all! Im still undecided, but i think this is the way to go