SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Business Card Req: Ownership Structure

I was told (by a non-lawyer) that I legally must have my ownership structure (LLC) on my business card. My thoughts are that this is unfounded- unless we were using some sort of disclaimer line (for instance, "Company, LLC is an NASD/SIPC member" or "Company, LLC is a subsidiary of Parent-Company, Inc).

Note: We always used our company designation in legal documents and copyright lines The reason we don't for the business card is that we use a logotype for our branding.

'Anyone have some comments on this?

Karin

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told by a non-doctor that my pancreas was on fire and that I had a week to live.

Surprisingly, he was wrong.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you hang around Sitepoint long enough, a non-laywer will give you whatever legal advice you want to hear!

Clearly this is something that an attorney would have to answer for sure, but I would respond like this: why WOULD you need your whole name on a business card? If you are called Xerox Corporation but you have Xerox on your business card, that could be fine as long as you are not misleading anyone, going into a business transaction without using your registered name, etc.

But, to put some information down on a piece of cardboard isn't much of a transaction. I know that using your real corporate name on all correspondence, contracts, etc. is critical, but I can't understand how that would apply to a bizcard.

So, I DOUBT that it's true, but wonder what others think..
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sagewing, my thoughts exactly. It is just that I have heard this twice now. The first time I dismissed it and the second time I decided to put out some feelers, just in case. I am thinking that it is more one of those unfounded things that are passed around?

And tke71709, funny analogy and I get your point!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laws may vary from state to state, but I would guess that the answer is no.

I am looking at a business card from a real estate agent right now that just says, "REMAX" ... Another in my wallet from a friend who works at MTV just says "MTV Networks, A Viacom Compnay" (it also says Comedy Central on it)... In fact, almost none of the business cards I have collected say anything about legal structure (Inc, LLC, etc.).
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karinwaz
    I was told (by a non-lawyer) that I legally must have my ownership structure (LLC) on my business card. My thoughts are that this is unfounded- unless we were using some sort of disclaimer line (for instance, "Company, LLC is an NASD/SIPC member" or "Company, LLC is a subsidiary of Parent-Company, Inc).

Note: We always used our company designation in legal documents and copyright lines The reason we don't for the business card is that we use a logotype for our branding.

'Anyone have some comments on this?

Karin
    Actually, one of my clients' lawyers made a specific request that it say "Inc." after the company name on the website and all marketing materials. From my understanding it sounded like there could be liability issues if they advertised themselves without the "Inc." portion of it.

That said, I don't do this myself on my business cards or on my website. I'd put this in the "cover your ***" category as one of the many anal things you can do to protect yourself from lawsuit just a little more.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have actually heard several people mention that you have to have the "LLC" or "Inc" by your name, but have seen it both ways.

I would imagine the only place you have to have that would be on legal documents... contracts, proposals, maybe even letterhead and email as they could be used in court. However, I just don't see how it would matter on a business card.

Of course, IANAL, and I'm interested in what one would say about this.