SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attracting more members ?

About a half year ago I started a community website.
    The problem is that I have a damn hard time to get members, and defenitely to keep them.

To stimulate things I was thinking of starting a participation incentive program, giving members points whenever they participate in the community.
    For instance writing a message in the forum would get 1 point, writing an article 100 points, referring a new member 10 points, ...
    Then, they could exchange those points for free hosting, a free email address, higher pm quote, increased space for their photo album, ... Things like that.

I would like your opinions on this. Do you think this can work ?
    Have you tried something like this, and if so what were your experiences.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidentally, this is the same scheme that SitePoint forums is currently implementing. 3 sitepoints for a new topic, 1 point per reply, bonus points for referrals and submissions.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a pretty cool idea. Is there a script that helps you keep up with this?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how would you do this? I am very interested although I think that they will keep that kinda secret.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there's not really a script for it so I'm going to write one myself to do this..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any personal experiences with this but I would be really wary about implementing it. I think you would find a lot of people posting just for the sake of getting more points rather than real contributions to the community. You could end up with a forum full of junk posts that nobody wants to read which would just turn people off. I already see a lot of posts on many forums that seem to be done just for the sake of increasing post count or showing off a sig file, or making onesself more well known or popular, things like that.
    I guess it depends on your particular community - if you feel that your visitors are responsible enough not to abuse the system then maybe it would be worth a shot.

I too would be interested in hearing of any real experiences with this sort ot thing...
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the sound of that idea (incentive points, etc.).

My question is where and how do you get the free hosting, email, etc. to reward your visitors with? How do you pay for that? Or do you get companies to sponsor it?

I run an actors community and am wondering what I could offer my members for participating...

Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ability to get users to signup as members and get them to stay on as active members, completely depends upon how attractive the site is... the more that is happenign, the more likely they will be to stay and use the site frequently...

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoints is the best idea Sitepoint ever came up with. They built a cool community because of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sitepoint is the best idea sitepoint ever came up with???

Duh! hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to do the automatic spript-THING for this idea (with the points and then rewards for the Users)

but i resigned of writing it, it's like Megs said.
    I have the posibility to give away free emailaccounts and so on, but i don't give it away to everyone - you just can't give away everything for free - that's sick - if you do not have a big budget. I am going the harder way - I give the accounts and the possibillity to join our meetings (better say parties - inner circle heh) only to the real contributors - who place useful information on the forums, add some of their breweriana to our gallery or help me with making my website better and better. The growth of the site is not a super-fast one but it's steady and everyday it crawls higher.

the only bad news is that it takes a lot of time - but the Users seem to notice it and they appreciate the way it goes - this way i have a strong core of the community - and it helps VERY VERY MUCH maintaining my whole site (well the site's about beer so you can imagine how hard it is to keep the discussions on a higher level)
    Browar.pl: Poland's brewing!
    vBulletin: Polish templates

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I said:
    sitepointS <---emphasis on the S!!
    ^
    see the SSSSS??!! That's sitepointSSSSS AS IN incentive. DUHH!!