SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question need database design advice for travel portal (was "MySql - Please advise")

Hi All,

I am looking at designing a travel portal. It's going to be pretty extensive so I may consider some of the syndicated content options available but I want to user a MySQL database, namely using MySQL Maestro Visual Gui.

I'm looking for some advice on how the database would be structured. Do I add all the content into the database? Say for example I have a table for all 5 star hotels, 4 stars, etc. Then another database for attractions by location. And so on and so on.

That way all data is in the database, and then when I come across new attractions, updated details for somethin in the database I can just amend the necessary table.

Is this the best and simplest way of going about creating a travel site? If nobody has used Maestro it's a simple way of using MySQL, you don't have to use the command prompt.

SITE LAYOUT AND DESIGN

Is it simple to pull data from the MySQL database into a webpage? I want to use a table layout and have individual cells pulling specific data. That way I can have cells with straight coding - banners, copyrights, dynamic/syndicated content, etc.

MEDIA - PICTURES, SOUNDS, VIDEOS, ETC

It appears that pictures and html files can be added into tables via a Blob fieldtype in Maestro. Is it possible to add other media files into MySQL? Is it a good idea or should they all be called via html and stored on the host server?

IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on what you would like to see on a travel portal, and preferably how it could be implemented simply?

Thanks in advance
    J

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Another thing with this. At the moment I'm creating tables for different attractions types (one for shopping and one for nature attractions currently). Is it easier to create a table for every aspect of every city I plan on including. This would result in thousands of tables, but the benefit is that I was going to have pages for every city as a sort of city guide. It would list all the attractions, shops, general info, events as well as what to see and do in the surrounding area.

The only other way I can think of would be to have queries that pull the attractions, shops etc that have the specific city in the city field. This would result in thousands of queries.

Please advise if I am correct in thinking that I should go with the table option for every city. Would this slow the website down? I wouldn't think it would as only a couple of tables would be referenced for any webpage.

Thanks
    J

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Have you posted this in the MySql forum?

What you want to do is pretty straightforwards and you will certainly get plenty of advice and opinions here, eg: store the file on the server with a path to it stored in the database or store the actual file in the database as blob?

1000's of records - not a problem.
    100,000's of records - not a problem
    1,000,000 - getting big!

Have you thought about which language you are going to use?
    (I would advise PHP but I am biased!)

Good luck with this and read through some tutorials and plan it well. Use these forums to help you and you should be fine

Cheers

Spike
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Moved to the MySQL forum.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnatolia
    Hi All,

SITE LAYOUT AND DESIGN

Is it simple to pull data from the MySQL database into a webpage? I want to use a table layout and have individual cells pulling specific data. That way I can have cells with straight coding - banners, copyrights, dynamic/syndicated content, etc.

J
    As long as you have the basics down of mysql and php, then it's simple to pull the data from the db into a webpage. I would definitely recommend using PHP for your needs here.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a hotels table to start with. this would then to linked to an attractions table for those attractions in easy reach or associated with the hotel.

relationship would look something like:
    HOTEL <=> link_table <=> attractions

Link table is a t column table with hotel_id and attraction_id. This way if 2 hotel were linked to a single attraction there would be 2 records in the link table:
    hotel1 attraction1
    hotel2 attraction1

Hotel table would contain the details of hotel1 and hotel2
    Attractions table would contain the details of attraction1

hope that helps

Steve