SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to write up a contract over the internet

Hope this is in the right forum, if not I'd appreciate if one of the mods moved it

Anyways, I was just wondering how exactly you guys write contracts (say, for web design) over the internet.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am not sure what you mean by "over the internet." I actually prefer signed contracts, and the mail works fairly well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, ok, thanks. I just assumed people wrote them over the internet for this sort of stuff.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I provide my clients with a project proposal that is both an overview and a breakdown of the project. I take a deposit on each project and their deposit 1)ensures their place on my schedule, 2) covers administrative costs (emails back and forth, creating their invoice, etc.) and research for the project, and 3) serves as their acceptance of the terms of the project as outlined in the proposal. Although this isn't a "contract" it helps my clients and me see if we are on the same page.

For large projects (large being subjective either as to length of time or amount of money involved), I additionally either request a faxed or scanned signature at the bottom of the proposal and I return them a copy with my signature. This is a simple contract.

If you believe you need something more legalistic than that, then you should get an attorney and have him/her write up what you need. However, if you don't want to wait for snail mail -- faxes and scanners are great inventions.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown