SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can installing XAMPP crash ur computer if coding is not sound?

Hey there,

I am a newbie to MySQL and PHP and was looking at setting up a localhost on my computer as means for developing a test bed.

When I was fairly new to ASP and my code wasn't full proof, I managed to accidentally temporarily crash the remote server that I was hosting my website with (a webspace hosting company)

That got me thinking; as I am just a newbie to PHP and MySQL, is it possible to crash my computer if i don't get the code right or are there any built in programs to XAMPP that try and stop this?

Thanks for your help

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as i know, the PHP server will allow your script to run for a number of seconds (30 i think), so if your script say goes into an infinite loop, the server will stop it's execution after 30 seconds.

This belongs to the PHP forum by the way.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A couple of times I have had an "infinite loop" with php and it didn't stop !

I am using XAMPP and it was a bit of a pain to stop the code; it can be stopped using ctr+alt+delete then end program. But I had to reboot the PC again after wards as I lost my desktop.

Anthony

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likewise I have had Firefox freeze on an infinite loop. That shouldn't put you off though, it's an excellent tool.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble
    A couple of times I have had an "infinite loop" with php and it didn't stop !

I am using XAMPP and it was a bit of a pain to stop the code; it can be stopped using ctr+alt+delete then end program. But I had to reboot the PC again after wards as I lost my desktop.

Anthony
    If you're on Windows XP, you could've just killed explorer.exe then hit new task and typed explorer.

If you get an infinite loop you have a better chance of freezing your browser than the computer. Just kill apache and everything should work out fine.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise you could do that Nathan; I learn something new every day !

My PC is in dire need of a reformat as a couple of times it has frozen just using windows programs and your method has got me going again.

Anthony

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured it out about a month ago. Things decided to hang for the first time in ages (months and months) and I decided to kill explorer without thinking of what would happen. I then realized I had no start menu. Tried to rerun it and it worked perfectly.