User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Interests Commentary Site

Hello Everyone,

My site's publishing schedule is currently halted until 01OCT01 in light of last Tuesday's tragedies. This has me in a promoting blitz and I figured I'd get some ideas from some of you here on tips to promote a site of my nature. To give you a brief scoop: it's an independent commentary magazine (ezine) and we have no advertising budget. If you want to check the site out, www.sourcerunner.com

Thanks
    Best Regards,
    Jeffrey A. Rambo
    Brandergy: advertising + design

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, maybe you could get it sponsored by eye doctors - it sure is hard to look at and harder to read!

Promotion depends on the interests of the vendor serving the interests of the consumer.

Without the profit incentive of advertising, it's hard to identify an interest of the vendor.

As for the consumer, the content seems only slightly less appealing than a boring college dorm room bull session.

Ask yourself, who needs the opinions of strangers, and why?

New Yorker and Atlantic Monthly do a great job of answering that question; if your site does even a terrible job of that, I'm not seeing it.

Then again, those are commercial ventures that can afford significant investments in content - a value thing.

I'm raising harsh questions in part to help you understand why promotional choices aren't more obvious to you.

No doubt some here will offer you some cookie-cutter answers. Apply them if you like.

And what will be the result?
    _____/\/\arty \/\/inston

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff,

1. Search engines. Free, can lead to tons of traffic.
    2. Personally e-mail every editor on the face of the earth. Don't spam them, but take the time to sit down and tell each publication why their readers would be interested in visiting your site.

Cumbersome, I know, but I used to run an ezine too - www.scrawl.org [I just own the domain now, nothing's on it] - and after I wrote a bunch of letters Yahoo! Internet Life (the print publication) did a write-up on my site. Since that magazine is out on newsstands for a month, it was *excellent* for traffic. Granted, it didn't do much for the revenue side of things, which is difficult when you're running an e-zine.

Good luck,

Adam

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MartyWinston
    Gee, maybe you could get it sponsored by eye doctors - it sure is hard to look at and harder to read!

Promotion depends on the interests of the vendor serving the interests of the consumer.

Without the profit incentive of advertising, it's hard to identify an interest of the vendor.

As for the consumer, the content seems only slightly less appealing than a boring college dorm room bull session.

Ask yourself, who needs the opinions of strangers, and why?

New Yorker and Atlantic Monthly do a great job of answering that question; if your site does even a terrible job of that, I'm not seeing it.

Then again, those are commercial ventures that can afford significant investments in content - a value thing.

I'm raising harsh questions in part to help you understand why promotional choices aren't more obvious to you.

No doubt some here will offer you some cookie-cutter answers. Apply them if you like.

And what will be the result?
    Marty,

What browser are you using? Netscape? If so, goto view and then increase font. Netscape's rendering agent doesn't really do us any justice and most don't know how to use their browser in order to increase the font.

If you're using IE, then I would suggest increasing the font there as well ... but you shouldn't have to.

Thanks for the description you decided to use in describing the sites content... truly classic. Although we do get great feedback on our content. As far as "promotional choices aren't more obvious to you" -- promotional choices are very obvious, we're not in a slump like the stock market currently is in. I was simply looking for an exchange of some extra ideas and tips to kick around, that's all. Thanks for your input.

Adam,

Thanks for your tips. I'll look into 2 & 3.

Take care.
    Best Regards,
    Jeffrey A. Rambo
    Brandergy: advertising + design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks, just keep in mind this is not the place to ask for site critique. If you want that, please post in the appropriate forum. However, feel free to exchange promotional tips and suggestions.