User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast oneafrikan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with netscape and IE background image consistency

Hi there

I'm having a little bit of a problem trying to get a 1 pixel high image to repeat vertically in a td. In IE it's easy - simply specify the background image, and Bobs yuor uncle ;-) - but in netscape, there seems no easy way to get your layout right, unless you go for a perfect layout using long gif. However, as most of you will know, with dynamic content, you cannot always stipulate the height of a td, cos it will stretch according to the content inside.

So - this is the question:
    How the hell do you overcome this problem, so that your layout is consistent in both browser versions? At this stage I'm only concerned with NS 6 and IE 5.5, so any workaround using plain html or style sheets or other kind of help you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards
    timber

PS - what is the story with this in the new versions of both browsers and the W3C?
    -> www.oneafrikan.com ><-><><-><-><-><-><
    -> www.openboxsoftware.com ><><-><-><-><

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be helpful if you posted some of your code, or an example of the problem, so that we can see what the problem is.

Is this a CSS problem?
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Enthusiast oneafrikan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea - good idea

mmj: Hey - sorry 'bout the oversight - I spose if I want help I gotta provide the problem! ;-)

Anyway - here it is:
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    <!-- content row -->

<tr>
    <!-- left side of the table -->
    <td width="4" height="350" align="left" valign="top" background="img/leftside.gif"></td>

<!--this is the td where the content is -->
    <td align="left" valign="top">
    <br> the content goes here
    </td><!-- end content-->

<!-- right side of the table -->
    <td width="6" height="350" align="left" valign="top" background="img/rightside.gif"></td>

</tr><!-- end the row and the right side -->
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

as you can see - I've used the following line of code to make the 1 pixel high gif basically repeat for as long as the td is.

This can be achieved using a stylesheet definition, where you give the td a class, with the image as a background, set to repeat vertically (y);

or, you can simply do what's in the above code, i.e.:
    ...background="img/leftside.gif"></td> -
    which has the same effect....but can be more work to maintain.

however, these methods do not seem to work in NS 6 very well - in fact not at all, and IMHO, this is something which is an important aspect of realising complex layouts, and using stylesheets makes it easier and more efficient, so obviously I want to get it right! ;-)

So - what do you guys think??
    Am I making a schoolboy error?, is there another way to do it which I've missed?, is there a tried and tested way of achieving the same effect?, or is there a workaround that is lesser known...?

If there is a need, I can mail a 24k zip file with the css, img and html files I've used, so u can get a more complete idea from them
    Anyway - any help would be much appreciated
    -> www.oneafrikan.com ><-><><-><-><-><-><
    -> www.openboxsoftware.com ><><-><-><-><