User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

standard data model for ecommerce?

I know every ecommerce database schema is difference. But is there a typical data model we can follow? I just do not want to reinvent the wheel and want to get a semi-standard data model to jump start my database design.

To be a little specific about my current challenge:

1. how to classify one product into multiple categories.
    2. how to handle different set of product specifications, should I create a separate table for each type of products, such as tblElectronics, tblClothes, tblBooks, etc.

Any references are welcome. Thanks.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. how to classify one product into multiple categories.
    Have a category table and product table and then a table "inbetween" them with the form:

category_product
    product id
    category id

So for each product/category combo you'll have an entry in this table.

2. how to handle different set of product specifications, should I create a separate table for each type of products, such as tblElectronics, tblClothes, tblBooks, etc.
    Often product specifications can be pinned to the categories they appear in...if not just make a product types table. Each product will then have a foreign key that points to the product type its a part of.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a category table and product table and then a table "inbetween" them with the form:

category_product
    product id
    category id
    Thanks, this will work. Creating a multi-to-multi relationship looks like to be the only option.

Often product specifications can be pinned to the categories they appear in...if not just make a product types table. Each product will then have a foreign key that points to the product type its a part of.
    Can you give more details on this? How to "pin it to categories"? If I give a product_type_id foreign key to a product, this only helps to identify what type the product belongs to. I still do not know how to store product specifications. Can you show me a schema example to store product specifications? Thanks.