SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legalities of running a movie streaming website?

I am interested in starting some kind of online movie rental / movie streaming website. I am talking about commercial movies that you can go into a shop and buy on DVD. I am yet to research the legalities of running a business like this and in all honesty wouldnít know where to start. Would I need to pay an amount for the right to stream each movie? Is there a way to pay a monthly fee to some large broadcasting corporation? Is something like this even possible?

Iíve got a large budget for this project so that isnít really an issue.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for i know wouldnt it be the same as buying a dvd and showing other people <--illegal. You probally wont be able to do such a site because there would be legalties on how you know the person doesnt rip the movie and burn them. You would have to see with the major producers, or pay per person etc. Thats just waht i think. Hope people have other help for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is highly illegal. You'd have to contact all the privacy departments of the major studios and set up a deal with them where you'd pay them royalties to stream the movies, and they are not even allowing large million-dollar corporate sites to do that yet...

I dunno man.. I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.. an extremely difficult if not impossible task (to do legally) lies ahead of you...
    Tyler Cruz
    TylerCruz.com
    PublisherSpot.com: Professional Reviews of Ad Networks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you are thinking of a service similar to www.movielink.com and www.cinemanow.com or http://starz.real.com/partners/starz/starz.html ?

The best advice I can give you is to 1. talk to a lawyer and 2. contact that Motion Picture Association of America and see if they can help: http://www.mpaa.org/AboutUsContactUs.asp
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked into this a while back. We'd found a unique way around the legalities, by applying the first sale doctrine and a few other arguments. In the end, we didn't proceed due to partnership differences. The argument is still valid.

If you're EXTREMELY well funded, PM me. I'd be happy to share our research.

You're looking at at least US$50k startup, btw.

BP
    ->Outsource Here<-
    Dreaming of the 4 Hour Workweek? Visit SigePo and start living
    a more relaxed lifestyle. Mention SitePoint for special pricing.