User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help to start small business

Hi,

I am interested in building up a small business, I have the following questions I would like to ask:

1) From who I should get the stocks? Should I get it directly from the wholesalers? Most wholesalers sell products in a mass volume which is risky for me since my business is just started. Consider computer hardware, its price are dropping often, if I stocked say 20 products and no one buy it in the first week and in the second week the price dropped then I have to sell it at the lower price. How can I cope with this situation?

2) Where can I find company that make custom boxes in Australia?

3) Which credit card processing company provides friendly, reliable, reasonable prices and good service?

4) Should I build my own server, rent a dedicated server or join a hosting plan?

Please excuse my english.
    Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help to start small business

I cannot help with all questions, however:

3) Which credit card processing company provides friendly, reliable, reasonable prices and good service?

If you want a third party account try http://revecom.com
    If you want a real merchant account try http://charge.com

4) Should I build my own server, rent a dedicated server or join a hosting plan?

If you are just getting started and are unsure of the outcome you should get a hosting plan. There will be a much higher cost with your own server or a dedicated server. With a hosting plan you can build and maintain your site, while someone else worry's about the server.
    Robert Nelson

Trion Host :: Advanced Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help to start small business

Okay now this is my experience (not from starting up a bus, but from working with a near startup)

1) contact your wholesalers. quite a few will do low volume sales, especially with startups, for those that dont, wait untill a product sells and once it does then order the minimum the wholesaler will let you, most wholesalers offer express shipping (ie next day)

2) i know of 1 company but i cant think of the name of the top of my head!... sorry

3)see above
    4)see above, i agree completly, you can always upgrade your hosting, when yu need to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the wholesalers, if you business it solely or mainly an online business be prepared for many suppliers to not want to do business with you. I think they feel mostly/totally-online business aren't trust worthy as physical store fronts. Also many suppliers have been misused as drop-shippers and they only want business that take inventory of stock.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin

You dont' say if you have a business plan, licences, know who your ideal client is - and where they are. The answers to these questions are part of building a strong solid business foundation... and if you're looking for funding are a must.

Maria Marsala
    Business & Life Coach-Consultant
    www.coachmaria.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the previous posts. Planning a business venture is much more than finding products and a place to put them...

Here is a list of things you should do before opening doors:
    • Get a business license
    • Define your target audience
    • Get buyer demographics about your industry
    • Research your competition
    • Estimate your expenses, ALL of them
    • Write a business plan
    • Draft an estimated earnings, P&L statements, Cash Flow, Annual Reports, etc. for 5 yrs.
    • Check with local authorities or chamber of commerce to get a checklist... make sure you've done everthing required (taxes, employees, etc.)
    • Define your product/service
    • Define your marketing strategy - what makes you BETTER than the competition?
    • What is your company mission?

I could probably think of more but that's all that came to mind...

Personally, I would consult with an attorney and accountant, even if for just a half-hour each, to get their thoughts and advice. It would be well worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to beley or just being complementary:

after you're done with what beley said (especially the basics)
    launch a pilot version of your plan...meaning, test how your target market respond to your biz mission, idea or objective.
    Don't through everything all at once at the beginning (too risky, especially if you don't have that much of a capital.

if things go well, you stood firm in front of your competition...start surprising your buyers with extras bit by bit by adding additional services (which i presume you've planned of earlier)

as for Q3 & Q4...I agree with nelson. Sorry can't help with the rest

Good luck
    Glad to be BACK

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for all your helpful replies

I will definitely keep this in mind when I open up my business.

Thanks
    Thanks