SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good JavaScript online API?

I'm looking for a good JavaScript Object reference online. Know of any?

For example, if I want to learn about the the style object, I should be able to track it down and read on it. Can I do that in your reference suggestion?

The reason I'm asking is that I cannot find one really that is up to date. All the big JavaScript sites seem to be repositories for code examples. I don't want that so much as a well document reference.

I want a damn API not some crap like this page. . .
    http://developer.netscape.com/docs/m...uide/index.htm

It would also be nice if it also listed what browser comply with what JavaScript version.

I know Netscape once had one but I haven't seen one I like so far. That site is so damn confusing that I just don't even want to go there. If you know a direct URL then let me have it though.
    Last edited by SlaveToTheMan; Sep 18, 2001 at 22:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally found Netscape's:

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/...jsref/index.htm

This is a confusing navigation scheme used here. I saw this several times but didn't understand how to get to the actual objects. You have to click on the little graphic triangle next to "1. Objects, Methods, and Properties" under "PART I. Object Reference" in the right-hand frame. Then you get what I was looking for. . . a JavaScript API.

Sorry for the stupidity (bad web page design though).

Is there one for the w3 certified DOM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, the W3C's DOM is meaningless: what is actually implemented in browsers is the only thing that matters, with a very heavy weight given to IE, and then mozilla. Anyway, here's MS's DHTML page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../dhtmlrefs.asp
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anarchos
    Eh, the W3C's DOM is meaningless: what is actually implemented in browsers is the only thing that matters, with a very heavy weight given to IE, and then mozilla.
    Actually, I think the DOM Level 1 means a lot. From what I'm gathering, it is implemented in the NN6 and IE5.x (the majority of users). I am no expert though.

Here is a list of useful links I have found in my search for JavaScript, ECMA Script, and W3C clarification.

W3C DOM
    What the hell is it? Well here is a pretty good document on it which you will understand if you have done any javascript.

The DOM Specifications - This is page with the actual specifications listed. It seems like Level 1 is the only one that current browsers have implemented. Here is the part most of you want which shows you the objects, properties, and methods for scripting in HTML pages. Remember, there is a glossary so use it if you run across a word that you don't know.

Here is a document about the DOM and IE.

Netscape JavaScript

JavaScript Reference - This is the API (list of objects, properties, and methods) and some more information. Note, if you want to see the API, in the right frame, click on the cute triangle graphic next to "Chapter 1 Objects, Methods, and Properties " under "Part 1 Object Reference." What a stupid navigation! The damn thing is almost hidden.

JavaScript Guide - Tells you how to use it.

Ever guess which JavaScript version goes with which Netscape browser? So have I and here is the answer.

IE JavaScript
    I guess they don't call it that. They call it DHTML using the Dynamic HTML (DHTML) Object Model. Well here is their API.

ECMA Script
    What the hell is this? The future I guess. This document explains it. Get the actual spec here.
    Last edited by SlaveToTheMan; Sep 19, 2001 at 21:45.

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey STTM,

There are a few places to go to learn W3C DOM. My personal favorite is the tutorial I wrote

http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/ryan/

For a reference, I actually use http://www.dannyg.com/javascript/quickref/index.html and I've added a bunch of things from reading the W3C DOM, which is really what I reccomend. Or, you could just us the for...in loop and expand all the objects, and in Mozilla it also lists methods as well as properties.

Hope that helps,
    aDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks