User Tag List

Thread: Bloggers Block!

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Bloggers Block!

I started my own blog as a means of advancing my career. But I'm finding I have blogger's block. Have any of you brilliant bloggers ever experienced this? If so, what did you do to get out of it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's the nature of your blog? Design, right? What specific topics did you plan on writing about (even before you started the blog)?

Sometimes, the best remedy for situations like this is stepping back and asking yourself - Why did I want to do this in the first place? Re-define your ultimate goals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You say you are writing as a means to advance your career. It seems to me that the most successful blogs and the people who are able to continuously write do it because they enjoy writing and you can see it in their posts. This attracts people to come in and comment on their blog, which is encouraging to the writer. Then the nice side-effects happen: they start to build a reputation for themselves online, or get a job offer, or get a partnership proposal, etc.

When your goal is strictly to help advance your career, you will continuously experience writer's block because that "Want" to write isn't there. hmmm... im rambling now and am not sure im coherent
    Sara

It's Warmer in the Basement xxJoyfulxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I'm in a funk with blogging.. Or just can't think of anything to blog about, I read the news - topics I'm interested in. And I usually find something that I have an opinion about and then express that in a post.
    Or I read other people's blogs. I normally don't get ideas for a specific topic to post, but it inspires me to come up with something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole point of RSS is that you don't have to stick to a hard and fast schedule.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get blogger's block all the time and that's just for a personal blog about my life!
    Perhaps my life is just that boring...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do a search on sitepoint or google on topics you're interested in. When you find a good discussion/article that you could offer an opinion on, post it on your blog.

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ses5909
    You say you are writing as a means to advance your career. It seems to me that the most successful blogs and the people who are able to continuously write do it because they enjoy writing and you can see it in their posts. This attracts people to come in and comment on their blog, which is encouraging to the writer. Then the nice side-effects happen: they start to build a reputation for themselves online, or get a job offer, or get a partnership proposal, etc.

When your goal is strictly to help advance your career, you will continuously experience writer's block because that "Want" to write isn't there. hmmm... im rambling now and am not sure im coherent

Good point! I do like writing very much.

My blog is supposed to be about Flash and web design. However, I find my heart wanting to write more about every day human things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer

My blog is supposed to be about Flash and web design. However, I find my heart wanting to write more about every day human things.
    From my experience that is what will get people to come back. If it was straightforward design.. it wouldn't be very interesting. I know personally, the blogs show a lot of personality and that is what keeps me coming back. It's not necessarily the personal stories; but the personality that shines through in ntheir writing.
    Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer

Start a blog on something you're passionate about. If it's not design, don't start a design blog because you'll get bored quickly and probably abandon it after a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the blog you feel you will enjoy doing the most 1st but have the 2nd blog ready for what when you do feel like working on it...

Most webmasters who have more than one site are like that with websites.. They work on one for awhile then all the sudden and idea hits the or insperation and they stat working on one of thier other websites...