SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazon.com Success

I just thought I'd share my Amazon.com success with everyone.

On my wilderness survival site I added a pretty prominent link on every page to a book at amazon.com, the book my site is based off of. If you visit the site you'll see what I mean. The link isn't prominent in positioning... its at the bottom. But the way I present it is like I present my main content. So it looks more like site content than an ad.

Anyways, in 4 days its gotten 100 clicks and resulted in 10 says of the book, and 8 sales of related books. Earning me $30 or .3 cpc

If that rate keeps up I'll make more off amazon.com than I'm making off Burst! right now - for both my sites combined.

Now this doesn't mean every site can do this. I've often said on these forums that affiliate marketing is not good for every site, and it's not. But for some sites it can be very good.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great story, Chris. It shows if you use affiliate programs appropriately, they can pay off. It's just sad that your story is rare and most don't have success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great result! You make more by linking to a paticular product then a general search and you are basicly recommending that book to your visitors.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a great way to make money. but you still need lots of traffic to boost that exposure of your recommendation right?
    Do you have a career or job related web site?
    Earn 5 cents per click by joining our affiliate program.
    Click Here

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by gekofish
    that's a great way to make money. but you still need lots of traffic to boost that exposure of your recommendation right?
    Not necessarily "more" traffic. But you will need a very targeted audience, like Chris has.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing to do is to have something like MySimon or Epinions.com are doing which is to have a certain product and then to have affiliate links to as many stores as possible. Although it requires a lot of work and maintainance the results are excellent.
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how we did it on our e-tail site too. Works out well!
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the reason a lot of people are successful with the Amazon.com program is the fact that people already know books are something they can/will use. Most people have been reading books for as long as they can remember, so if you already have a product with really an unlimited market (since books encompass all topics) then it's just a matter of having a decent site. (A decent site is more likely to earn visitor's trust, thus the visitors are more likely to purchase something recommended or pointed at by the webmaster.)

I'll probably be joining the Amazon.com affiliate program for my new site as a small source of income (I don't intend to have banners or sponsorships, so this would really be bare bones.) If I do, it will be in conjunction with a review of the book, or after an article on the subject of the book -- hopefully I'll have earned my visitors respect by the time they read through a few articles

Anyway, congrats aspen on your success. I know you put a lot of pride in your sites, and you do a spectacular job Keep it up!
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which site are you referred to? Sorry, I miss it.
    Search Engine Optimization and Yahoo Ranking Services - at Affordable Price!!

PS: We attain at least 10 No.1 positions in Yahoo, and at least 25 Top 10 positions in Yahoo. All are highly competitive keywords!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said he's talking about his wilderness survival site: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

Check it out.
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

It's great that you're having some success with your site. I think it just depends on the quality of the site and how well things are integrated. Apparently, you did a great job.