SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question MySQL optimization with indexes

Can anyone help me understand the benefits and drawbacks to having multiple fields/columns of a table added to the Primary index?
    Also, perhaps someone can shed some light on how such a primary index is handled by MySQL.
    For instance, if I set up a Primary index on a table that contains 6 fields/columns that had all 6 fields/columns in the primary index. Would this give any benefit at all?
    The reason for the questions are because I am walking into a situation where such a case exists. I don't know that there is any benefit to doing Primary indexes this way, but can someone shed light on the why's?
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftone
    For instance, if I set up a Primary index on a table that contains 6 fields/columns that had all 6 fields/columns in the primary index. Would this give any benefit at all?
    yes, a very clear benefit -- two, actually

first, it means that the database will automatically prevent you from entering duplicate values for all 6 columns, i.e. all 6 values are considered when deciding if it's a duplicate set of values

this is known as entity integrity

secondly, a primary key allows you to reference it from a foreign key, which means that in a child table, you can be assured that the foresign key value (again, the combination of all 6 values) must actually exist in the primary key

this is known as relational integrity
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the quick reply.

Ok, I see some clear benefits to doing this in terms of ensuring uniqueness. However, how does this translate into speed? Will having such a large primary index hurt significantly on inserting? And, will doing the index in this way truly help SELECT statements over setting up a primary index and many secondary indexes?
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    integrity has nothing to do with speed and vice versa

no, having a 6-column primary key does not significantly hurt inserting -- because if, for example, you used an auto_increment instead, you would still want to declare a unique key on the 6 columns as well (otherwise you're opening yourself up to duplicates, and "how do i remove all but one of my duplicate rows" has gotta be one of the most common pleas for help from people just using auto_increments)

whether the primary key is of any use in optimizing SELECTs depends on what the SELECTs are asking for
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again r937.

I have one more question that perhaps you can be of help with. I see one case of a primary index having 3 columns in it, then two of the columns are also set up as their own secondary indexes. Is there any benefit to this, or should I think of cleaning this up in some way?
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    the secondary indexes would be very useful for queries which search based on those columns and not on the column which is the leftmost of the composite index

for example, suppose you have a table of user preferences

the primary key might be {user,preference}

most time, you will search the table for the preferences of a specific user, so given the user value, the search would use the primary index, and be really efficient

if you also occasionally search on preference (e.g. how many users prefer asparagus), then the primary index is not used, and you'd get a table scan unless you had a secondary index on preference
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, as I was a bit confused on these items. It just seemed to me that if there was a Primary index of 6 columns, then the SELECT would scan through the full index of 6 columns when it may only need to scan one of those columns.

Would you recommend creating secondary indexes in this case, or just sticking with the Primary? (Barring the knowledge of the frequency of this type of query.)
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftone
    Would you recommend creating secondary indexes in this case, or just sticking with the Primary? (Barring the knowledge of the frequency of this type of query.)
    i would only create secondary indexes knowing which queries are required

and, by the way, i never did know what the 6 columns in this case were
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca