User Tag List

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Some questions about accessibility and usability

Do you recognize any accessibility or usability problems if:

- the web site logo and graphics which do not require alt tags to be backround images defined with CSS?

- the web site logo should be a foreground image, should an alt tag be given with the company name? Or is that redudant?

- I declare abbreviations or acronyms, for example: "SEO (Search Engine Oprimization) avoiding the use of the abbr and acronym tags?

- I have this: "Search Engine Optimization (SEO)" without using for (SEO) the acronym tag?

- If I do not use the acronym or abbreviation tags for the "Membership" list on my under construction redesign here: http://www.webnauts.net/redesign/ . Aren't the title attributes enough?
    ?

Thanks in advance for you kind support.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Logo

With image loading disabled (in Opera) the logo is not visible, or any alternate text. Also you may want to consider putting tab-index on your CSS nav links for no-mousers.

The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webnauts
    Do you recognize any accessibility or usability problems if:

- the web site logo and graphics which do not require alt tags to be backround images defined with CSS?
    I use background images mainly because it give me the opportunity to add a CSS-hover effect to it .

- the web site logo should be a foreground image, should an alt tag be given with the company name? Or is that redudant?
    Why would that be redundant? It will help your document to validate, and that's always something.

- I declare abbreviations or acronyms, for example: "SEO (Search Engine Oprimization) avoiding the use of the abbr and acronym tags?
    This is the way it's done in books, and I think it's a perfectly fine way of doing it.

Be reasonable with your abbrevation & acronym tags. Theoretically, you could put them on every singe abbrevation in your document. But do you really have to? Is it neccessary or would a glossary somewhere on your site worj better?

- I have this: "Search Engine Optimization (SEO)" without using for (SEO) the acronym tag?
    See above.

- If I do not use the acronym or abbreviation tags for the "Membership" list on my under construction redesign here: http://www.webnauts.net/redesign/ . Aren't the title attributes enough?
    I'd definitely say yes. It is a link, after all.
    http://www.johandahlstrom.se
    Not rebootin' on November 1st! (but shortly after)
    flickr

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Acronyms

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Dahlström
    Be reasonable with your abbrevation & acronym tags. Theoretically, you could put them on every singe abbrevation in your document. But do you really have to? Is it neccessary or would a glossary somewhere on your site worj better?
    Good point. Most text books and technical articles I've read define the acronym the first time it is used. For example, Using Acronyms to Represent a Lengthy Phrase (UARLP) saves a lot of page space. UARLP also enables the reader to not have to "mentally read" the phrase, and think of it more as an object or concept. One must be careful when UARLP if they are not well known (some acronyms are known almost universally ), especially if used later on (or in this case, on a different page) because the reader may forget WTF it stands for. IMHO defining SEO once, w/o it being in a glossary, should be adequate, as it is fairly well known by niche members. When someone that does know what SEO (Search Engine Optimization) stands for they can more easily "mentally skip" (like "dear" in a letter) the explanation the first time, but if explained too often it might become "noticeable" and disrupt the flow of the user's reading.