Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    if ($zee == "Guru") { $zee--;}
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP - Help with Admin Page.

Hi

At first, I would like to say, that maybe some of the members think that i m the DUMBER who ask questions and questions one after another. I just want to say that i m facing a situation in which I must have to make a complete database driven website in PHP + MySQL. I have never build any website in anyu scripting language before. So, i m a newbie in this whole field. If so, I regret for any inconvinience.

Actual Question
    ---------------
    Masters, I want to know that what is the good aproach to build ADMIN page ??? I have created almost 35% of my work. and now I want to make soem ADMIN stuff as well. So that i can test the website side by side.
    please guide in this regards....

Thanks

does not play well with others frezno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually it might be a good idea to start with the admin part.
    In most times there's some person who has to put in data, maintain somethings etc.
    So with starting at the admin, database, queries, functionality is kind of given when pulling over to the 'going public' part.
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
    I'm Pentium of Borg.Division is futile.Prepare to be approximated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jelena's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing you could share with us is what is going to be handled on admin page/section? As frezno said, administration is mostly used to manage data etries from DB. For that matter, you probably need list/add/edit/delete pages for each group of data.

I always build admin section first. Front end is usually just for displaying things managed in admin, except if you need a kind of user system in frontend as well.
    -- Jelena --

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, exactly. The admin will be able to Approve images for Uploading, (once approved the imagex will be stored in database.) moreover, hey may make an account DEACTIVE form some reason. Further, He can view the feedbacks from the fedback forms, (these will be stored in a database). take backups, view stats, etc etc, other admin tasks.
    there are websites which has ...www.domainname.com/admin
    to load the admin page, is it ok >? or there are other ways as well ?>

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jelena's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's a good practice to put all administration in different folder. Of course it would be good to protect it with htaccess or whatever method is available for you. Make few sections in admin, for example: Images, Feedbacks, Statistics etc.. Those sections in most cases corespond to DB tables. Under each section just create whatever is needed... listings, abilities to add or delete entries etc.

You are on the right track.
    -- Jelena --

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, you've got a lot of work ahead of you...

For most of that stuff,
    You need to retrieve data and plop it into a form... then when you submit the form, you need to validate it and update the database.

You could start by drawing it up on paper. Where you want each thing. Like approving images in the upper left, viewing feedback in the middle. Or you could give them their own page with tabs at the top. Whatever. Get your basic design on paper.

Then you have to bust your a$$ and get it working. A lot of fetching data and outputting it, and updating your db, and writing validation code.

The way I do it is draw out how I want it to look... and then start typin. It's busy work to me.

A lot of times, I'm the one who will be using the admin panel, so I don't spend too much time on the looks of it. I just concentrate on the functionality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jelena - what do you meant by different folder . If i say www.domainname.com/admin.
    Is this mean that in while developing, in my local server (IIS) let suppose in g:/localhost/property is the path where the actual website's pages are stored. and
    g:/localhost/property/admin, is the plase where all the admin related files are placed ??
    M I RIGHT ? more over, plz let me know how to use htaccess to protect http://localhost/website/admin folder

Note::

Hey http://localhost/website/admin = www.website.com/admin ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    am going to start a thread regarding this issue coz am starting to build admin page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont u join this one ???? U ARE WELCOMED

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok then even though i started the thread

admin panel with extra feature like resizing the image and watermark images

database structure in this link
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343424

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    her is the thing am googling around this topic no much resorces
    anyone knows begginer tutorials about this topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeshanhashmi
    I want to know that what is the good aproach to build ADMIN page ???
    please help on that

this can be an article on site point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    her is one can be helpfull
    deffrent approch
    http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/cm...-php-mysql.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seem there is no support for this thread
    sorry zeeshanhashmi i wish am cabaple of helping you in this
    am having the same issue

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any tutorial on how to fetch data, display it, and update it is what you need.

These are typical functions for an admin panel. You need forms with data.

Tailor the forms to your needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good piont there expose1994 its all about form (for my case)

actually am using pencile and paper and drawing a layout how is the admin page
    whats the features what will happen when the admin click her ...etc just a draft

and it helps realising some of whats needed to do the admin page

zeeshanhashmi give it a try

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok what I did when i started doing mine. First I though about what I want in it, and how everything would link together.

I then created the template which i could use for this area. After that, i password protected pages and created a login and logout section. Although this can be a annoying feature while testing, its better to have to enter your password a few times, then have someone get access and completely ruin all your records!

After all that is completed start making more tables in your database until you have everything you can think of at the moment. The next thing was probablly the best thing I did for my website. I shut down my computer and went to bed to get some rest, and to think out how im going to do my first thing.

Now once you have got back up, if you have a poor memory, get out a tape recorder and record all your ideas. Dont worry if it dont make much sense, you just need it to jog ur memory.

Finally start coding. If you are not too experience just do what you can, you may be adding 20 more lines of code then someone more experienced may, but if its still working its good! When you are more experienced you will know what you could have done.

Oh and one last thing. To make this even easier (worked for me), i suggest you do 2 things. One, go to google for every new idea you get and are not sure how u could do it, do a search and find some information on it. Two, have a look through this forum for things that you may want to incorporate into your site, it helped me.

Hope this helps you through your development of your admin area. If you need any more help please feel free to post a reply or pm me.

~Brent~
    PHP | MySQL | (X)HTML | CSS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK first of all i would like someone to plz enlighten

g:\mywebsite\myadmin = http://localhost/website/admin = www.website.com/admin ??? is this ok ? as for the g:\mywebsite\myadmin = http://localhost/website/admin it is OK and working fine for me. But i want to know if :
    (in local mashine) http://localhost/website/admin = www.website.com/admin (in webserver)

Now for my admin page, I have to check following :

1 - Check if there is any feedback from the member (i.e. welcome Admin : You have 23 new feedbacks click HERE to view them)

2 - Check if there are some complains regarding any MEMBER like He post some bad thing / talks on my website. (ie You have 2 new COmplains click HERE to view them)

3 - Check the new uploaded photos, if they are good to be finalised, APPROVE, otherwise reject.

4 - Some marketting stuff, like database driven Link Exchange etc.

5 - Backups,

6 - Sending ANY MESSAGES to ALL THE PEOPLE using my site ( a live message)

7 - Eleminate teh Deleted records completely (in my case, i did not grant teh delete permission to my member, whenever they want to delete a message, they will click on DELETE THIS MESSAGE but in background it will not delete that records, it will set teh DELETED field YES,) and then at the ADMIN page i will Delete all the records where DELETED = "YES"

So , I have a basic page, with all the related links. Is this all ok ? or there can be some good thing as well ? (Apart from this).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more thing... Suppose, if u are an ADMIN. U jsut logon to your ADMIN account , and you are doing some let say Feedback checking, suddenly , the UPS turnedoff (technical fault) and your computer turned off :...................How to handle this case, u are not logout from teh admin account.........

Possible solutions (I m not sure though)
    1 - Do not use "www.yourwebsite.com/admin" becasueit can be easy to check if the webmaster has an admin page on www.yourwebsite.com/admin. However, I think if i use somethign like this
    http://www.yourwebsite.com/kj78olfuv...polsacf4/admin this is a complex one to guess. Here kj78olfuvxxcol34polsacf4 can be any code generated from any CIPHER Technique by a keyword.......

Suggestions requried,......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got a few idea i might use...
    PHP | MySQL | (X)HTML | CSS

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm...

You can easily have a URL such as www.mydomainname.com/administration/ and then more importantly I suppose, is then to use .htaccess to redirect to the actual file it's self, which would be possible only if the referrer was the one you want?

So, you type into the URL www.mydomainname.com/administration/, and in fact you end up at somewhere here for example, www.mydomainname.com/c/0134/administration/ which is more pratical

But you have authentication anyways via a login scheme; By the way, when you are using .htaccess, the URL (www.mydomainname.com/administration/) doesn't actually have to exist either; The wonders of Apache you understand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats great. Dr. Livingston great idea for the .htaccess

Thanks once again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how to handle this issue :::

one more thing... Suppose, if u are an ADMIN. U jsut logon to your ADMIN account , and you are doing some let say Feedback checking, suddenly , the UPS turnedoff (technical fault) and your computer turned off :...................How to handle this case, u are not logout from teh admin account

Here , how to make it sure that no one else can use the account in such cases. and only the actual admin access that page.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your power unit does bomb out then there is nothing you can do; If you are logged in then when the power is restored you will need to log in again - since the browser session has expired

Here , how to make it sure that no one else can use the account in such cases. and only the actual admin access that page.
    Well, the session that you use for the authorisation scheme is unique to each browser session - not browser window, do note however (I suspect each browser handles a new window differently though, not sure?).

So if your PC goes down when you are logged in and working, I wouldn't worry about it; The world will still continue, regardless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay thansk a lot.

Do u have any suggestions ? and also please let us know if we can use .htaccess on IIS ? coz i think it can only work on Linux.....