SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Administering Microsoft SQL

I would like to know what's the best tool for administering my local Microsoft SQL Server. Currently I'm using the Database Explorer which is integrated into Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and a seperate program, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. However I had some problems:
    1) I could not figure out how to insert a new line into a dataset. (Pressing enter moves the cursor down to the next row, other combinations like Ctrl+Enter, Shift+Enter don't work either)
    2) I want to be able to export/import data (for example CSV or XML files), but could not find such a function.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use SQL Server's enterprise manager. It comes with the SQL server install if you choose to install the client tools (though the name of the app may have changed for SQL 2005, I'm not sure).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In SQL Server 2005 there is no Enterprise Manager any more and you cant use SQL 2000's version of enterprise manager to connect either.

I've been using Visual Studio 2005 and creating new database projects for the little work that I've done with SQL Server 2005 and that seems to work fine.

Have you tried clicking on the last line of the table ("dataset") or the line below that to add new values?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niardica
    In SQL Server 2005 there is no Enterprise Manager any more and you cant use SQL 2000's version of enterprise manager to connect either.

I've been using Visual Studio 2005 and creating new database projects for the little work that I've done with SQL Server 2005 and that seems to work fine.

Have you tried clicking on the last line of the table ("dataset") or the line below that to add new values?
    Maybe I phrased it wrongly. I want to insert a line break into an existing field (a text field). How can I accomplish this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I know to do that would be to run in insert or update query on the record that you want to change the text in..

Something like:

Code:

INSERT INTO mytab (myID, myText) 
    VALUES (1, 'some text ' + char(13) + ' more text');
    or

Code:
      UPDATE mytab
      SET myText = 'some text ' + char(13) + ' more text'
      WHERE myID = 1
    Hope this helps...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice, this approach works.
    However, I'm pretty used to the phpMyAdmin interface where you can do the most common operations (browsing, inserting, deleting, importing, exporting etc.) without writing any SQL statements. Is there anything similar for MSSQL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out myLittleAdmin for SQL Server http://www.mylittletools.net

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use Sql Server Integration Services for import/export.

To add a new row into a table, just scroll to the bottom and look for the row labeled * with all the null values. Or for a quick and dirty front end to enter data into a table raw style, you can use MS Access.