SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest opinions on using Paypal for business in Australia

Hi,

A while ago there were two reasons I wouldn't consider using Paypal for Australian websites

1. Paypal required you to 'join' before making a payment. This is no longer the case.
    2. Funds couldn't be depositing directly into Australian bank accounts in Australian Dollars. My understanding is that this is no longer the case.

Is it still the case that a paypal payment cannot be 100% embedded in an existing site, i.e. it's an absolute requirement that, in order to make a payment, customers must leave the source site, go to Paypal, then return to the source site?

Anyhow, given that 1 & 2 are no longer problems (www.paypal.com.au is now a fully operational Australian service), Paypal suddenly seems a lot cheaper and simpler when compared with all the extra components/hassles that have to be dealt with via other routes, ie.
    - credit card merchant account with bank (lots of form filling and requirements to meet)
    - SSL certs
    - payment gateway providers (we mainly use Camtech).

So for a simple, cost effective, adhoc, 'pay me now' facility on an Australian website - where going off to Paypal and coming back again shouldn't be a turn-off to target market clients - I reckon Paypal Australia is a pretty respectable choice.

Comments?

P.S. I don't work for Paypal! :-)
    P.P.S. Paypal Australia's fee page: https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/we...g-fees-outside
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it still the case that a paypal payment cannot be 100% embedded in an existing site, i.e. it's an absolute requirement that, in order to make a payment, customers must leave the source site, go to Paypal, then return to the source site?
    Currently, the only way anyone can collect their customers' credit card payments through PayPal without directing those customers to the PayPal website is with Website Payments Pro, and that is only available in the US at this time. (Website Payments Pro also requires you to implement Express Checkout for PayPal customers to go to the PayPal site to authorize their payments, but you can keep your non-PayPal customers on your own website for the entire checkout.)

For Australia, you would be using PayPal Website Payments Standard, which does have the Account Optional checkout for users who don't have a PayPal account.
    Sell more worldwide!
    PayPal Website Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal
    now support 6 currencies and 174 countries

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd use them for sure. Tons of ebay users are familiar with Paypal here now, and some larger retailers are starting to use them too. eg http://www.rosesonly.com.au/

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've personally used them for over 4 years, typically I only buy off paypal sellers - if anything goes wrong with the product or it's delivery.. paypal are by far the safest medium, they've resolved two problems I had with sellers in the past 12 months, and I got my money back within 3 days on both occasions.

working hard is hard work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great feedback everyone. We're working on a website now that required a payment gateway, and we were just about to go down the "credit card merchant account + payment gateway + SSL cert" path when Paypal Australia suddenly looked more attractive. We put it to the client (pros, cons) with our recommendation to give Paypal a go, and they've agreed - with thanks to us for looking after their best interests.

Thanks again.
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise