User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK seamless payment processor

Hi,
    I'm going to need to process credit cards for a new online store. It's important that the process is seemless, i.e. the payment processing doesn't go off to a third party site. Paypal in the US seem to offer this service, but not in the UK.

What options are available in the UK? Options seem far more limited than the US, what are your experiences?

Many thanks,
    Jord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want it to be completely on your website then you will probably need to take the card details yourself, then process them offline via a terminal provided by your bank. Most, if not all of the top UK payment processors redirect the customer to their website to pay. However you can often do a lot of customisation with the payment interface to make it look like your website. We use WorldPay and they do this for example.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I know that PayPal US do provide a SOAP interface for payments which would probably be the best idea, but of course, it's US based. I suppose I might need to look into customisation instead.

Thanks anyway.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olate
    Most, if not all of the top UK payment processors redirect the customer to their website to pay.
    Not true in the slightest. All half decent PSPs offer a service which allows you to take card details on your own site (with your SSL cert) and send these details via an API to the PSP for authorisation. This process is completely transparent to the customer, who never leaves your site.

You will of course require an internet merchant account from a high street bank in order to use these PSPs, and you may need to install modules on your server, so shared hosting may not be suitable, which is why a lot of sites simply use the redirection service offered by most PSPs. But if you want seemless transactions, there's dozens of UK companies that offer this. PM me if you want a specific recommendation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Barclay's and Protx - they should be able to help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    worldpay/chronopay are few another good option for UK, though the charges of chronopay is quite affordable and you have not to wait for weeks for getting ur payment.