User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragable Tabs

One thing I like about Firefox is the ability to rearrange the order of the tabs. I do like the quick tabs feature in IE7b2.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmilliron
    One thing I like about Firefox is the ability to rearrange the order of the tabs. I do like the quick tabs feature in IE7b2.
    Amen on rearranging tabs. I wish I could do that in IE
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont you think its using a lot more memory .. i opened two tabs and the mem usage was about 35MB.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure it does. But MS doesn't typically deal with memory issues until post-beta 2, because there isn't much point. It's fairly normal in their development cycle. I'd be very, very concerned if that was the case with the RTM or consumer releases, but at this stage it doesn't bother me much. Besides which, my PC barely feels the extra 20MB of RAM it's using.

If this is still an issue by release I'll be upset. But, I don't much mind right now. It's smaller things that bug me, like some of the weird rendering issues, the scrolling drop-downs issues and that kind of thing. Overall, though, I'm happier with IE7 than I was with IE6, which is good
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE7 is gonna be good I think...I like the small design. Doesn't take up a lot of room, and has more viewing space compared to other browsers. The buttons and favorite thingy is really good.

About security and stuff...every browser has it's problem. I just say, stop bashing on Ie, and just hope that it get's better. Which it will.
    FlyffWorld.com - Online Gaming MMORPG
    AdTalks.com - Publisher/Advertising Network Review
    Cursors - Cursors-4U.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    Amen on rearranging tabs. I wish I could do that in IE
    Your wish will be granted in 2010* when the hard-working IE developers release the next version.

*actual date may vary depending on Vista launch date.
    "I disapprove of what I say,
    but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if you can now do :hover on any element instead of just links with CSS now?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskoda
    At least it renders png files correctly...
    Depends on what you mean by correctly.

Yes, PNG with 8-bit alpha channels display as they should - but you can't combine that with opacity. In other words you can't fade such a png image in or out.

So, while it may be easier for the developer, there is nothing new as far the ultimate ability to display pngs on web sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginning of the end?

With IE7 still falling short of standards, stilling missing min-height for example, and with the * html hack no longer being effective, could itís release be what is required for the masses to switch to FireFox?

The way I see it, if by the time IE7 becomes the only IE option there are still a lot of sites relying on old IE hacks, then the average user is going assume that there is something wrong with this new release and seek an alternative.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubtful.

Aside from designers and developers, not very many "normal" users even know what the "standards" are, much less care enough to switch browsers.

Their main concern, far and away, is the security issues. By all accounts, Vista and IE7 are gigantic leaps forward on the security front. That should be enough to not only keep their userbase, but likely regain a small percentage of those that have switched.

Remember, a lot of Internet Users don't even know the little blue e is for Internet Explorer; they simply refer to it as "the Internet". That's an association that will be nearly impossible to break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true, but when 'the internet' stops working properly, aren't people going to question it?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreado
    With IE7 still falling short of standards, stilling missing min-height for example, and with the * html hack no longer being effective, could itís release be what is required for the masses to switch to FireFox?

The way I see it, if by the time IE7 becomes the only IE option there are still a lot of sites relying on old IE hacks, then the average user is going assume that there is something wrong with this new release and seek an alternative.

What do you guys think?
    Considering most of their CSS fixes and additions have yet to be added I think this statement is very premature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Considering most of their CSS fixes and additions have yet to be added I think this statement is very premature.
    Yeah, indeed it is. I should have clarified that I meant that if IE7 ends up being as bad as we fear it could be...

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, indeed it is. I should have clarified that I meant that if IE7 ends up being as bad as we fear it could be...
    If they make the changes they say they will make, and fix the bugs they say they will fix, IE7 will be a big improvement over IE6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true, but when 'the internet' stops working properly, aren't people going to question it?
    No.

Average users fall into 2 categories, in my experience.

1 - Those who can't tell if a site is broken. A lot of users have a hard time identifying links that aren't blue and underlined, I don't expect them to notice a layout that is a few pixels out of place.

2 - Those who can tell the site is broken, but blame it on the designer. When a novice user sees a page where the navigation is below the fold of the page, what do you think their first reaction will be?
    - "Damn, I need to use an updated browser that adheres to standards."?
    or
    - "Damn, that was a stupid place to put those links. I'm leaving this website."?

Even the "techie" people won't get it right. I worked in an IT department full of dinosaurs who didn't really know much about IT. The intranet application (web-based) looked wonderful on Netscape 4. When they tried to view it in IE6, the thing blew up. They thus took to calling it Internet Exploder. This was one of the largest corporations in Canada.

The point here is that the large majority of users aren't savvy enough to know that IE6's standards implementation is garbage. When we, the technically inclined folk, complain about it, they shrug it off as more techno-babble.

Remember, there are still a lot of people out there that use computers because they have to for their jobs. They didn't grow up on them, and they aren't enamoured with them. These are the people who double-click on links because they think you need to double-click everything. These are the people that refer to the big-blue-e as "The Internet". These are the people that can't tell a great design from a horrible one. Most importantly, these people are the ones that make up the overwhelming majority of the Internet population.