SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question is there limit for keywords in meta tags?

I was just wondering if there is any limit of keyword uses in meta tags and for description also and is it important the keyword order in the meta tags?
    Author at GraphicRiver

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From the Search Engine Optimization FAQ:

...blah...blah...Meta Tags...blah...blah...

The large majority of search engines do not use Meta Tags as part of their ranking algorithym. The most notable exception is Yahoo which does use them (at least the meta keyword) but it's weight in their algorithym is extremely low and essentially has no influence on a high ranking (it may be useful to jump up you from the 1,000th position or so). Some will claim Google uses Meta tags in its algorithym. This is entirely untrue. Google, however, will use a meta description tag if it is unable to discern a description for a webpage on its own (if the page has no text and no description in the open directory [dmoz] the it is likely Google will use the meta description tag in its SERPs). Please note that it is only using this description in its SERPs, not its algorithym.

Should you use Meta Tags in your site? Yes. They do have some affect in some search engines and even though that effect is almost zero it is still more then zero so is worth the time.

How much time should I spend on my Meta Tags? Ten minutes. Write a nice concise description of your page and throw in a sampling of keywords (which you should have them handy if you've optimized your pages properly). You should spend no more time then this on them. Use your time to promote your site and get quality inbound links.

How many keywords should I use? As many as you want. If you start to think you may have too many, you probably do. This means you need to divide your page into subpages with each one taking its own topic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Ummmm

Google uses the Title tag. hence allintitle:www.mysite.com
    Google uses consistency in the algorithm in regards to keyword density, hence you want the title to match the keywords, to match the description to make anchor links etc all the way down to the footer.

The syntax, placement, and consistency are vital!!!

Each page of your site has the opportunity to rank, hence you can usually only optimize for 3-5 keywords. It is best to have the index page as an overview of what your site will be about, and make additional pages based upon keyword themes. Optimize on site via keyword density of between 7-10%. You want to make sure you use alt text for all images, use consistency of placement of keywords and syntax of keywords, use keyword anchor links to other pages as well as the page itself.

Make sure you page structure uses sub folders and link up to the sub folders and to the main index page via a footer Link.

Once your on site SEO is complete work on outside linking with your keyword anchor links. Be consistent, if you link via www. then always link the keyword to the www. If you are not using www. then never use it. Stay away from reciprocal links when ever possible, attempt to get one way keyword links from different C-block Ip addresses.
    Work your linking strategy via blog post, forum signature post, article submissions, seo-friendly directories, press release, and links from like minded sites ( try not to use reciprocal if possible)

SEO is simple if you know the rules and follow them.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigebiz
    ...Ummmm

Google uses the Title tag. hence allintitle:www.mysite.com
    The <title> tag is not a <meta> tag.