SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locally Editing Access Database Breaks Site Functionality

We have an Access database originally created years ago that we use as a backend for our district intranet. I've recently switched to a Windows XP/Office XP machine (from Windows 2K/Office 2K) and now anytime I directly edit the .mdb file, it breaks the whole site. The error I get is:
    Code:
    Unspecified error
    /SHARED/INCLUDES/SECURITY.INC, line 5
    which references the database connection line in the include:
    Code:
    secconn.open "PROVIDER=MSDASQL;DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\db\workor~1.mdb;UID=login;PWD=pw;"
    I assume when I'm accessing the file locally it's "locking" it or something so no one else has read/write access to it. Is there some setting I can change to allow me to edit this without disrupting the site? Any clue why it worked on XP but not 2K, or if it's the OS or the Office vers?

Thanks

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't use the little pop-up window that appears when opening access. instead, go to the file menu and pick open. select the database. but instead of simply clicking the open button, click the arrow to the right and pick the option that says open shared.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I click the arrow and see:
    Open
    Open Read Only
    Open Exclusive
    Open Exclusive Read Only

am I missing some or is it one of these?

*EDIT*

I found some options in Access on how to handle opening files. I attached a screenshot of mine. I haven't changed any of them yet. Could it be the "Open databases using record-level locking" checkbox?
    Attached Images Attached Images

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope, row-level locking is a good thing.

i'm out of ideas. access is not my strong suit. is this ASP? i might suggest moving your thread to the ASP forum as problems with connectors can usually be answered better in the host language forum.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its ASP. After I opened it by going to file > open instead of just double-clicking the problem seems to have gone away... I'll keep an eye on it but I tried to break it again and I couldn't get it to stop working. Who knows. Thanks for the help!