User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendation for rubby Editor/IDE

Hi to all,
    I am interested to know which editor/IDE do you recommend for ruby development.

I did a google for "ruby ide" and found a good list from rubygarden .

It covers extensions for editors and a short list of IDEs. Any one here have experience with the following IDE:

FreeRide
    Ruby eclipse
    Mondrian

Some old threads that covers this topic were:
    This thread
    and
    this thread
    Cheers! ..::redhex::..
    Wine Event Company|redhex.hedir:A candid view on hedir
    Fantasy Football | Online Classifieds

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy using RadRails

http://www.radrails.org/

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RadRails is one of the best I've come across although its still a bit buggy.

As a general editor I like jEdit.

If you are on a Mac it has to be Textmate.

SitePoint Enthusiast AdulteratedJedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath
    If you are on a Mac it has to be Textmate.
    I second the recommendation of TextMate

AJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    TextMate if you're on a Mac.

For the rest of us, it's either jEdit with Ruby plugins (not bad but not great, nothing Rails-specific), RadRails (good but only at version 0.5 and not feature-complete), or we make do with the editor we already know.

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jEdit is nice, if you know Java you can write quite powerful macros.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emacs? There is a ruby-mode (written by Matz), and there are other modes with auto-completion, etc. I have not used it, but it might be a good choice.

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use jEdit when I used a Mac, but I found it very slow at loading. Since I've been forced to use Java at university, I've decided to take up an anti-java image, and therefore I won't touch anything with Java unless my life depends on it (i.e. coursework).

Under Windows...

UltraEdit 9 (newer versions don't have AA text, which I find to sharp on my TFT)
    Notepad2 (Ruby enabled version)
    and for RHTML files Notepad++

Editedit is more for project work, where as Notepad2 is for misc stuff. I tend to use all 3 apps above, but dedicate each one for a specific task (just so it's easy to switch around off the taskbar).

In Linux, I'll normally use kate.

If you're a real Mac user (I'm not because their UK keyboard layout frustrates me), then TextMate is the way forward, not to mention DHH uses it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiJaySung
    Since I've been forced to use Java at university, I've decided to take up an anti-java image, and therefore I won't touch anything with Java unless my life depends on it (i.e. coursework).
    Pretty lame your action is ...

Come back after 4 to 6 years when you'll have a wife and probably a kid to support and take a good look at your statement above.

And before you say anything ... it's your attitude towards programming that sucks, and considering your childish statement, you're just a kid that needs to grow up.

*Brrrrr* being forced to do at university Java ....

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfft, It's personal opinion what language people like and hate at the end of the day. Yes, we/I might have silly excuses for hating them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I especially love using Kate in Linux no matter what I am working on, it's very versatile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by MiiJaySung
    Pfft, It's personal opinion what language people like and hate at the end of the day. Yes, we/I might have silly excuses for hating them.
    That's a nice argument.
    But try to base your oppinions on more valid arguments, I know you might have other, but being `forced` to use it at university is laughable. That's what universities do ... they force you to learn things, and things you like you should learn on your own
    Surely Java the language sucks, but the platform is such a great piece of work that nothing can replace it.

OK, so you are choosing to use Ruby, but that will limit your options.
    I hate Microsoft, but does that mean I won't use .NET if I am getting paid for it ? No. Does that make me a b*tch ? I don't care
    At the end of the day its *all* about getting the job done and getting paid.

So lighten up on your anti-java campaign. Your oppinion can't change the world, but it certainly can hurt a lot of people, since we are all geeks that fall in love with our prefered platform.

SitePoint Enthusiast Ilija Studen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jEdit + Ruby plugin.

I haven't tried other editors (except RadRails) and I don't understand what do you mean when you say "rails specific" stuff. RadRails have a few dialogs and wizards for doing some common rails tasks, nothing that can't be done through the console (you can use console plugin for jEdit if you like to have everything inside the same window).

Or I'm missing something...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilija Studen
    jEdit + Ruby plugin.

I haven't tried other editors (except RadRails) and I don't understand what do you mean when you say "rails specific" stuff.
    I'd like method completion for one thing. I'd also like jEdit to recognize that when I go to the file open dialog, I'm probably faster than it is at choosing the directory/file I want and not piss and moan about it not being done reading a directory structure yet.

I still use jEdit, but its quirks are annoying (as they are with any editor I guess :sigh: )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilija Studen
    I downloaded jEdit yesterday (and loving it!) but can't seem to download the ruby plugin. Have tried repeatedly since yesterday but for a fresh install the files will only download partially. Anyone else had a problem with it?

SitePoint Enthusiast Ilija Studen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like method completion for one thing
    jEdit can analyze your Ruby code and show it in SideKick panel. You can also set Ctrl+Space (or anything else) as keyboard shortcut for Show completion popup action of SideKick plugin (Options -> jEdit / Shortcuts) so you can use this data on request in the code. Not perfect, but good enough most of the time...

Do you use Project Viewer plugin? I don't use Open dialog that much thanks to that plugin. For project files I have project tree, external files I just drag and drop from Total Commander. You need to reimport project tree when you make some external changes but that it something that I can live with (got used to it with Zend Studio ).

I don't think that jEdit is perfect editor but it's good: it have all the features that I expect from general purpose editor, Ruby plugin makes it pretty good for Rails development and it runs on all major platforms.

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonefry
    Off Topic:

That's a nice argument.
    But try to base your oppinions on more valid arguments, I know you might have other, but being `forced` to use it at university is laughable. That's what universities do ... they force you to learn things, and things you like you should learn on your own
    Surely Java the language sucks, but the platform is such a great piece of work that nothing can replace it.

OK, so you are choosing to use Ruby, but that will limit your options.
    I hate Microsoft, but does that mean I won't use .NET if I am getting paid for it ? No. Does that make me a b*tch ? I don't care
    At the end of the day its *all* about getting the job done and getting paid.

So lighten up on your anti-java campaign. Your oppinion can't change the world, but it certainly can hurt a lot of people, since we are all geeks that fall in love with our prefered platform.
    While I'm not pro, MS or pro .NET, I'd much rather invest my time on that as a platform, mainly because .NET jobs are on the increase, and while C# might not be the best language in the world, MS seem to be pushing it in a better direction than Java.

While I know many universities seem to "force" students to learn Java, from their point of view, they don't have a huge amount of choice, because I really can't see uni's going pro .NET. The fact is for me, is I don't see myself ever using Java in a job, it's a technology that's slowly dying, and therefore as well as it being an annoying language to use, it have probably lost even more market share by the time I get out of uni.

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think gEdit is pretty much similar to kate, but I've not bothered to faff with it to get syntax highlighting etc. I must say, while loads of people slag off KDE as slow (and yes it is), I find kate and konqueror so much nicer than any poop in GNOME. Again this something which is heavily down to opinion, so I don't wanna start another flame war, I've already got one going about Java to fight first