SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to attract super affiliates - explained

We all know that merchants benefit the most from having "super affiliates." The 80:20 rule is at work here.

One or two super affiliates bring more sales to the merchant than 100 ordinary affiliates. But that begs the question...

1. What factors go into making a super affiliate want to sign up with your affiliate program?

2. How do you go about approaching a super affiliate by email? What do you say?

Has anyone here got experience in signing up and approaching super affiliates?

Thanks,

Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay here are a few things that super affiliates generally look for...

1) the ability to advertise affiliate links in email, many networks/merchants prohibit this, and it is one of the things SA`s want. Many SA`s have large opt-in email newsletters that they want to advertise in. you prohibit this and they cant reach there audiance with your product.

a SA can spot a product and commision structure that they know they can make money off. if your program doesnt redirect to a converting page then they will not give you the time of day.

Support is also one of the biggest factors. an affiliate is not going to bother spending hours and hours trying to get good results with your program if they cant get support from you, anybody can be a SA provided you support them.

also 2 tiere can help!

2)start off by asking them what they look for in an affiliate program, tell them that you are running a program and are interested in there views of it. dont make it sound like spam, personalise it and be sincere. if they are interested they will look and if its good they will start testing it... as of there is when you have them or you dont, if the test fail your program will fail, if they succeed then your program will succeed.

Good Luck
    Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may i help you?

1. What factors go into making a super affiliate want to sign up with your affiliate program?
    2. How do you go about approaching a super affiliate by email? What do you say?
    please do not send email to affiliates, the best way to force affilites to sign up your program is to submit your site to affiliate directory, and always check the link hits for next plan. You could also publish affiliate news of your company on BBS or news website, and let your affiliates know more about your products and diffrence with competitor. If you do like that, tons of super affiliates will fly to your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: may i help you?

Originally posted by Lihongjun
    please do not send email to affiliates, the best way to force affilites to sign up your program is to submit your site to affiliate directory, and always check the link hits for next plan. You could also publish affiliate news of your company on BBS or news website, and let your affiliates know more about your products and diffrence with competitor. If you do like that, tons of super affiliates will fly to your site.
    what is wrong with sending a webmaster a message asking him if he would like to join your program. If you think its spam then you are sooo wrong.

As for the comments on affiliate program directories. he is talking about gaining super affiliates wich will in most likely hood be selected by him, placing his program in a directory will not get him super affiliates, it will get him affiliates. however i do agree that he shoudl submit it to a few directories.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with iTec.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with emailing potential affiliates, as long as it's done on a one-by-one basis. In fact, I think this _is_ the most effective way of getting superaffiliates and almost-super-affiliates ;-)

I have joined quite a few affiliate programs and networks as a result of getting contacted this way. I never consider a personal message adressed to me to be spam, and I actually _like_ getting these mails.

Regarding what to say in the email, I think it's important to remember that all superaffiliates are experienced. They don't want to hear "Partner with the leading supplier of x products and benefit from being associated with our fine brand - or to hear the basics of what an affiliate program is" or anything that smells of a "standard" copy and paste mail.

They want to know how sales/leads/clicks are tracked, if there are "traffic leaks" on the sites, what type of people are interested in the offer, when payments are made, some tips on how to make it convert well or how some others did it, etc.

Write a short, true, personal email without hype and with some facts and tell them you'd love to have them on board and if they have any questions don't hesitate to ask :-) (You could try writing something like "If you're interested in doing a test-run, I'll mail you a couple of examples of ad copy that worked well for similar sites", etc etc.

Probably even more effective is if you can give them a special deal.

Also, I agree that a 2-tiered program is a good idea, since the high-performing affiliates often know other high-performing affiliates, and are probably more likely to spread the word if it's 2-tier.

Disclaimer: I don't consider myself a "superaffiliate", and have never managed an affiliate program, but I make my living off these things :-)

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want better results, pick up your phone and give your prospects a call. Email is not the best form of communication. Anyone can send an email, it takes a real person with initiative to make a phone call.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here