SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting a Merchant Account with no Credit?

I've rarely used a credit card and as a result I have near no credit. How does one go about opening up a merchant account if no one will accept you with no credit history?
    ATTENTION: Affiliates in the Health Niche
    $297 Product rigorously tested to at least 2% Conversion Rate
    PM for details.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Providers will accept you with no credit. It's harder if you are an internet merchant, though, because of the high risk associated with those kinds of accounts. If you were a brick and mortor business you'd almost be guaranteed one. You just need a processor who will accpt higher risk merchants. If you need help finding one let me know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to consider third party processing to start out with. The costs are much higher, but you can establish a processing history for 6 months, and then move on to getting your own merchant account with no problem. They will also provide you with all of the back-end, (gateway, reporting, fraudscrubbing, affiliate tracking, etc...), which can make starting up a lot easier.

Is your company US based or EU based? I can recomend third party processors depending on where you are....
    Michael Sperber / Astral Group Inc / e-commerce solutions
    info@astralgrouponline.com Skype:msperber
    www.astralgrouponline.com Phone +1 954 650 5789
    ICQ 177961090

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most companies will not take your personal credit history in account unless it is over $30,000 a month because they understand that people run their business different than their personal life.

Being in the United States if you plan on doing more than $1,000 a month, you should consider a merchant account.

Also, when you look at a website, if the merchant account provider is based in the United States they have to say at the bottom of their site if they are an ISO / MSP or if they are an agent of a particular ISO / MSP and what Member bank they represent, if not - reconsider using them because they are in violation of Visa regulations and subject to hefty fines.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might contact Corey over at LoudCommerce. I set up an account with them and it was very easy. I was processing the next day
    Last edited by stymiee; Aug 19, 2006 at 08:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation thetopguy!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little credit is certainly better than bad credit. You should not have a problem getting an account.