SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pI2 Import Files won't work

I'm trying to upload a CSV table into an empty table on my database and I'm using phpmyadmin 2.7.0 and I can't get it to work. I've used earlier versions of phpmyadmin (2.6.1-pI2) and no problem with the same data. The difference is 2.7.0 just has an upload form with no configuration parameters. I have no idea what kind of file it wants. So when I upload my CSV data, I get a MySQL error 1064 that simply shows my data as as if I typed it in as a MySQL query. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Satre

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you get to the import screen, you have to click the link at the bottom that says import from a text file.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, that feature was in earlier versions. The only thing on the import screen in version 2.7.0-pI2 (the latest version by the way) is a single file upload field and a go button. There are no parameters to set as in earlier versions. Turns out that you MUST upload an .sql file because 2.7.0-pI2 no longer suports .csv file uploads into existing tables, or any tables for that matter. (at least not as it is installed at my hosting service).

I've figured out a workaround using another server where I've installed phpMyAdmin 2.6.1-pI2. 2.6.1 supports .csv uploads into existing tables. Then I export my table as an .sql file (which is loaded with MySQL commands by the way), and then upload to my hosting service running 2.7.0 which will only accept .sql files.

Is anyone else using version 2.7.0? Does it have .csv file upload options as in earlier versions? Maybe my hosting service didn't install correctly, but after doing an exhaustive search on the matter, it seems indeed true that 2.7.0 will not accept any uploaded file types but .sql. This seems rather ridiculous because, unless you have a program to change .csv files to .sql files, you are out of luck. I can't imagine why uploading text files to fill tables was eliminated in the new version!

Does anyone know of a free/shareware program that will change .csv files into .sql? This workaround is really ridiculous. I must be missing something....

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your host has disabled the right to use LOAD DATA INFILE, then phpmyadmin will probably hide the link. buy i use 2.7.0 at home and the link is there.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so very much for the info! I will ask my hosting provider to turn that feature on.

Smooth sailing to you!

Best,
    Satre