SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forms of payment?

This really only applies to small businesses:

Okay so right now via my website I only accept PayPal...

What other online payment services are available that are cheaper/similar in fees to PayPal?

If you sell things online, and have... over 3 forms of payment, isn't it a bit hard to keep track of.

I looked into merchant accounts a while ago and deemed it was too expensive. My business, and sales, have since increased...

What do you consider when deciding to open a merchant account or not? (And any recommendations for a provider?)
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your overall costs should be what you primarily consider. At some point your costs from a merchant account will be less then with Paypal or any other third party provider (and I'm pretty sure Paypal is the cheapest of them all). Basically, get some quotes from merchant account providers and do the math (d0n't forget to factor in your gateways costs, too). Once they become significantly cheaper then Paypal (I say significantly because you will have to do some work to make the switch) then it's worth the switch.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at www.stormpay.com They offer simular services as paypal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With you being in Canada, you have a few options (less than United States Merchants) but more than some other countries.

Usually over $1,000 a month is a good starting point to consider a merchant account. Usually with a merchant account, your money is deposited within a couple of days and no calling or waiting for the money.

Some people will not do business with businesses that do not have a merchant account just because of reliability. You will read more horror stories about a large processor just because they will have more clients. Most people these days have a Paypal account for whatever reason (myself for mad money).

Another 3PP is 2CO but the discount rate / transaction rate is a bit higher than probably what Paymentech, Beanstream, etc might charge