SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling A Website - Confused

Not sure if this is in the right forum, and I ask the admin to move it if not.

Basically I'm selling my domain and website for $50,000 - I've never done anything like this before, so I'm not sure how proceed to make sure this gets done safely without me being screwed... call me paranoid, but that's how I am, and 50k is a lot of money!

Anyone got any tips or advice on what order to do this in?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well first off, use an escrow service. For that amount of money, it's definitely worth it to get a third party involved. They give the escrow service the money, you give them the site, then the escrow service gives you the money. They work as a middleman to protect both parties.

Second, get a lawyer. Write an iron clad contract. Selling something for $50k you should be able to afford a few billable hours. Get it signed and make sure it's legal (hence the attorney).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I would recommend getting an attorney for something over $25,000...There are just so many loopholes, and as you said, you don't want to get screwed out of $50,000. As Brandon also mentioned, an Escrow service would be good for absolute protection, but you could also consider a wire transfer at the bank, with this amount of money, and the legal contract. Congrats on your sale!

Tom