SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping real time quotes / handling / cart

I am dealing with x-cart right now and we are running into problems shipping items since it adds up the weight for the total order. We are shipping plastic items that are in decent size boxes but weight very little. So the quotes are coming back bad. We are trying to fix this but that is another problem.

My question is, what shopping carts do a good job of managing real time quotes and weight to size figures? I noticed a pretty good software squirrelcart has an option to allow for each quantity to be a seperate box.

Are there any scripts that tries to figure out the best way to ship the item in the boxes? I thought I ran across a program around here but cant remember it.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of carts (ShopSite, my personal fav, included) can calculate shipping in several different ways. For instance, ShopSite can be set to assign a weight to the entire order (say one pound for the box and packing materials) and then calculate the individual products in fractions of a pound. So when it sends the information to UPS, FedEx or USPS for a real-time rate quote, it would be more accurate.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks beley.
    Are there any others people suggest which seem to have a good shipping system.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello rgbman,

May be it doesn't make sense to change to another cart since the shipping module can be modified to calculate the shipping quotes exactly the way you need?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks luckyboy.
    True and I understand within reason anything can be adapted by a good programmer.

I was looking just a starting platform that had a good shipping system. But as I have researched more since my post I find that most shopping carts in the small business class to medium really dont have a good system for finding real time quotes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi rgbman,

I couldn't tell you anything about other shopping carts, I have some experience with X-Cart only. If you describe the problem in more details, probably I will be able to give you some more information:

What exact realtime shipping module do you use?

Are all you goods shipped one item per box?

Do all your shipping packages have the same dimensions?

Do all your products have the same weight?

and so on..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, I missed the point that you have no installed X-Cart yet. Anyway, I think it will be pretty easy to adapt the realtime shipping modules to your needs, if it will help you to choose the right software somehow.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I currently have x-cart used. I just dont find that it has the options in this shipping area. For one, if your order goes over a total weight it doesnt break it up into another quote but returns back, too heavy to ship.
    Another thing is it doesnt allow for individual items to be shipped in their own box only. Trys to always group items into one box.