User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Empuria
    I think that Shaun said it all. It's a personal preference for him and most websites use a too small typeface. As designers we are obliged to make our sites useable for as many people as we can. To me this means using a scalable font size rather than trusting to a browser's ability to increase it for me. Using a fixed size is easier to control the layout but are we doing our best for our users?
    Remember that it's only IE that can't scale fixed sized text. So even if I design with px, I can't "control" the font size in Firefox or Opera.

While designing a site, you should always keep in mind that you can't – and more imporatanly don't want to – completely stop your visitors from resizing the text.
    http://www.johandahlstrom.se
    Not rebootin' on November 1st! (but shortly after)
    flickr

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply stated, my stylesheet looks like this.

css {
    css;
    css;
    font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;
    font-size: 11px;
    css;
    css;
    }

I use 11, because this is always readable. A font like Tahoma or Arial, you could never go wrong. For input boxes, I use verdana. In my opinion, it looks best.

Nintendo Wii Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verdana, 12pt
    Favorite font for everything
    Ocassionally I use Trebuchet MS though.
    »» 16 Year Old Web Designer
    »» Average Daily Income (approx):$30
    »» Drawing Tips | Wii Gamin' | Twilight Princess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verdana w/ 12 or 11px size for body, personally.
    Open for design work. PM or through email.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently, I like Tahoma 12px. I change it often, though.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typically use Verdana or Arial. I do like Trebuchet MS for headers though.

The only issue I've found with irregular (sort of) fonts like Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, and a few others are that some browsers on other OS's don't have adequate support for them, or render them oddly. For example, when I boot up Linux all the browsers render the fonts very differently. Just a point to keep in mind.

I use pt's I believe, but I'm not sure. I usually have a set font and then use percentages on everything else to base that upon. Usually I stay around 10-12pt and a few larger sizes for headers and the like.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been noticing a trend nowadays using the Trebechute MS font, aswell.
    Occasionally I will use this for banners, it's a good font. ( www.betaload.com )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tahoma 11px, may I ask what ems are, I've used px before but this is new.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by .root
    Tahoma 11px, may I ask what ems are, I've used px before but this is new.
    Em's are just another unit of font measure.
    It's not an abbreviation, it is actually pronounced "M's"

Let me quote Sitepoint,

"The em is a relative font measurement, where one em is equal to the height of the letter "M" in the default font size. Where CSS is concerned, 1em is seen to be queal to the user's default font size, or the font size of the parent element when it differs. If you use ems for all your font sizing, they have set in their browsers."

Very helpful book too, I recommend it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fovurites are... Lucida Grande, Tahoma, and Verdana (11 or 12 px).
    And Georgia for headlines and printing (14 or 16 px).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to use verdana and find it both neat and easy to read. Text size is usually pretty small (about 12px I guess).

Em's are used I think as they offer a sliding scale rather than a fixed one. This seems to have no effect in browser such as Firefox but in IE, if the text size is set at say 10px then it doesn't change when a user alters the text size option of the browser. It doesn't matter massively I guess but I always understood the use of EM's were to make a site more accessible to visitors.

As a rule I don't use em's as I have yet to understand them fully. I do attempt to make use of word values for the text size (such as "small" or "smaller"). This seems to have a similar effect on text as em's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that in ALL of my websites, Ive never used a font other then Arial/10px for my body text I find it has both a neat and professional appearance and therefore, have no reason NOT to use it.

Mind, having said that, There was once i time when i made my first EVER website .. ( When i was about 10 ) .. and used everybodys favourite Comic Sans

Theres my 2pence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lucida Grande at (9px, 11px, ...) would have to be my favourite, although I can't stand the smaller sizes of Lucida Sans/Sans Unicode on Windows.

Trebuchet MS and Tahoma (again, 9px, 11px, ...) are quite nice on Windows (without ClearType enabled), but not all that legible on OS X.

Here's what I usually start with:
    Code:
    * {
    	font: 11px/1.8em "Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Tahoma, sans-serif;
    }

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11px arial is my best choice.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verdana 11 pt, #4a4a4a

- Alexander Kinnunen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11px Verdana or 12px Trebuchet MS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tahoma for me I sometimes use verdana/arial too though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpsites
    I have to admit that in ALL of my websites, Ive never used a font other then Arial/10px for my body text I find it has both a neat and professional appearance and therefore, have no reason NOT to use it.
    The fact that everyone uses arial when they can't think of something better should spark your interest in using other fonts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Bitstream Vera Sans' at a base size of 16px (1280x1024) when I'm working in GNU/Linux - beatifully rendered and an absolute joy for reading on the screen. I prefer Verdana when working in Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tristanm
    'Bitstream Vera Sans' at a base size of 16px (1280x1024) when I'm working in GNU/Linux - beatifully rendered and an absolute joy for reading on the screen. I prefer Verdana when working in Windows.
    I use that for user comments on a site, to create a subtle separation between official content and comments.. for people who have it installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artistsneverdie
    Tahoma 10pt or Tahoma 9pt

As for not using percentages, I just prefer to have my designs as fixed in their look as possible. I tend to have the habit of being pixel perfect when designing.
    thats old school man, fixed typography has both usability and accessibility flaws.

2 examples >

1. People with poor eyesight can not view your site without scaling them up, so your website should be built to not break when fonts scale up. (and even though you use pt's, firefox users can still scale the fonts and perhaps break your site).
    2. I had to slide my *** over the couch all the way to a half arm-length away from my laptop, I'm lazy so I consider that a serious usability issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Large line-height (more than 150%) is good too. I think serifs have their place on the web. Georgia looks pretty nice at larger sizes (16px or so).
    It's always good to see that some people consider line-height, as I think the default for any browsers I've tried is way too little. I prefer 140% -- more than 150% is too much, I think, but it depends on how many words per line you got, too. Look inside most books; the line height usually equals something like 140 or 150% in a browser.

Quote Originally Posted by artistsneverdie
    As for not using percentages, I just prefer to have my designs as fixed in their look as possible. I tend to have the habit of being pixel perfect when designing.
    Sure, but if a visitor wants to resize the font size it probably means that he or she got problems reading the text on your site; isn't it more important that they can do that than the text looks "pixel perfect"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bas!
    I used Tahoma 11px alot but lately I've been using Tahoma 12px more. For headings I use Trebuchet MS in different sizes.
    It's really beyond me how anyone can read long texts on 11px -- unless you got a really small monitior resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover
    The only issue I've found with irregular (sort of) fonts like Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, and a few others are that some browsers on other OS's don't have adequate support for them, or render them oddly.
    Yes! Therefor I think people should avoid Trebuchet MS, unless it's on headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Idris
    As a rule I don't use em's as I have yet to understand them fully.
    Maybe I misinterpreted that, but em is almost the same as percent: 1em = 100%, 0.5em = 50%, etc. I say almost, because it's rendered slightly different in correlation to line-height.

Quote Originally Posted by dpsites
    That's your opinion, but I don't really see that as a valid reason. Just because it "looks" pro, doesn't mean it really serves its true purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by tristanm
    I really wish people would stop using Bitstream Vera Sans on the web; it's rendered horribly on Windows!

I think it's important to keep in mind that a lot of Internet users don't even know how to scale the font size, so one shouldn't rely on the thought, "If they don't like it they can just change it themselves!".
    Why is duck?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben
    It's always good to see that some people consider line-height, as I think the default for any browsers I've tried is way too little. I prefer 140% -- more than 150% is too much, I think, but it depends on how many words per line you got, too. Look inside most books; the line height usually equals something like 140 or 150% in a browser.
    I usually have something like 11px/18px or 12px/18px (not necessarily in pixels, but you know what I mean), which is fairly easy to read without making everything seem too spaced out. You're right that I wouldn't have a 220% line height or anything far above 150%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben
    I really wish people would stop using Bitstream Vera Sans on the web; it's rendered horribly on Windows!
    I agree. I don't use it on sites that I build for that very reason.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I copy the font used in windows on my website. Tahoma, smaller, and #333333/black against white background.

Most of my visitors are windows users I don't see any reason to use another font. I just use the standard fonts, h1, h2, h3. It looks good, the size is easy to read and if microsoft uses it, it must be good

Also, I always use "smaller" instead of a number as the font size because it allows the user to resize the font via their browser. When I want to change the overall font size, I only have to edit one CSS style.

Serif fonts don't display well on the web because the fonts aren't anti-aliased and there's too little pixel to properly display serif fonts. I also always keep the font size to an even number (ex. 8, 10, 12) because some characters such as "w" may look awkward on odd sizes such as 11pt.