SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downloading a big database through phpmyadmin

Hi We have a 100meg database.

Our host does not provide their own backup facilities for backing up the database, so we have to use phpmyadmin.

Unfortunately, typical HTTP downloads using Firefox or IE are pretty gaurenteed to break. Normally for large downloads I use free download manager plugged into Flashgot for Firefox. But unfortunately this doesnt work with phpmyadmin as it tries to download the actual php page instead of the .gz sql dump.

Does anyone know of a download manager which is able to do this? or of a way we can use phpmyadmin to dump the database to the server so that we can then download it using a url?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    You could take a look at dumping to a file on the server using the mysqldump utility, this can be done either by SSH or from a PHP script.

For example in SSH:
    Code:
      mysqldump -h localhost -u USERNAME -pPASSWORD --single-transaction DATABASE > /home/USERNAME/public_html/mysql_dump.sql
    You could also do this through a PHP script using the system() call.

The only reason I'm suggesting this is because I'm not sure if phpMyAdmin can dump straight to disk, or if there are other web-based tools which can help you with this.

Just my 0.02p anyways

Cheers,
    - Harry