Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supplier Questions

A few questions...

1. How do you go about contacting potential suppliers for your products? What kind of terms are typical?

2. Is it plausible to have a setup where you could post products to your website, then buy them as they are ordered with your credit card and have them shipped to customers that buy through your site?

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. There are 2 ways to purchase products... direct from manufacturers or through distributors. Either way, contacting the manufacturers is probably the best way to get some solid information.

2. That's called dropshipping and while some distributors and manufacturers dropship, most of the people online that offer it are no more than scam artists and don't even give good retail pricing, much less wholesale pricing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    1. There are 2 ways to purchase products... direct from manufacturers or through distributors. Either way, contacting the manufacturers is probably the best way to get some solid information.

2. That's called dropshipping and while some distributors and manufacturers dropship, most of the people online that offer it are no more than scam artists and don't even give good retail pricing, much less wholesale pricing.
    What about books? Dealers and publishers require you to carry huge inventories in order to get a decent discount. Is there any way around this?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I know of, but I don't sell books either. It will always be true that the best discounts go to the ones that buy the most volume. That's just economies of scale.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    Not that I know of, but I don't sell books either. It will always be true that the best discounts go to the ones that buy the most volume. That's just economies of scale.
    True. However, inventory also costs money; and that money could be invested elsewhere. I'm just looking for a decent middle ground, where I can get devent margins while maintaining an inventory that I can turnover in a month, not a year. For now, I guess I'll buy off Ebay/Amazon-stores and stock those books for a 25% margin until I get enough orders to justify carrying the inventory that dealers want to sell me.

Thanks for the help/advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do enough volume to buy from distributors (books), if you PM me a list of books or subjects you are looking for, I'll check if they are available from any of sources I deal with, maybe we could agree to some sort of a deal. I can dropship them for you also.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demosfen
    I do enough volume to buy from distributors (books), if you PM me a list of books or subjects you are looking for, I'll check if they are available from any of sources I deal with, maybe we could agree to some sort of a deal. I can dropship them for you also.
    I would be very interested in this. Sent you a PM.