SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Long) Disaster of a Business Call!

This morning I sent out several emails trying to sell my skills. Later in the day, I get a call while on the road to my cell phone. It was from one of the companies I sent my resume to. The connection was bad. Plus, I did not know if it was a design firm, or a recruiter; I have no patience for recruiters.

I pull over the side of the road, trying to get into a professional conversation. I can tell that the person on the other end is getting annoyed with me. She/he says "why don't you call me when you get to your office, this way you won't be so flustered..." I say, "oh, that's okay, I can talk...Ē He/she says, "No, I think it's a better idea if you can call me from your office, when you are less flustered!" Obviously, I gave this person a bad first impression. But hey, he/she didn't give me any better of an impression. However, this person might be a new client who is going to pay me, so I better get myself together.

After I get off the phone I get a ticket for speeding and driving without a seat belt. Now, I hardly ever speed, and 98% of the time I drive with my seat belt on! The Police officer was nice enough to just write me up for driving without a seat belt on. Good thing I wasn't driving and talking on the phone at the same time.

But I digress.

Since I am miles away from my studio, I decide to call this person from a Barnes and Nobles. As I carry on my conversation, I can tell this person was a bit taken back by me. Maybe I was coming across too nervous on the phone. I can be that way. I really have to work on sounding professional. I was told always smile while you are talking because it will sound like you are happy to hear from the person on the other line. This works even if you are in a miserable mood. And believe me, it works. Once I tried this on my voice male. People kind of laughed at me because I sounded too happy. I was humiliated. But I digress again.

This person wanted to know why my portfolio had designs that looked so varied. She/he sounded a little suspicious. Then the truth finally came out. SHE /HE/IT DIDN'T BELIEVE I DID ALL THE WORK I SAID I DID! He/she wondered why one of my peaces looked so professional, while others looked amateurish. I told the person I was taken aback by this, yet complimented at the same time. I tried to explain that a designers skills vary over the years to suit the clientís needs and wants. I tried to explain that I keep an eye out for good design, whether it is in print, TV, or a bill board, and make a mental note of it. Then later, I will use what I remember in my own design. Itís like being a writer, I said. Writers will read as many good writers as they can, so they can become better writers. So it is with me as a designer. Then I told her/him that I did not appreciate being accused of lying!

Thinking this person was a rotten recruiter, I asked her what she did. He/she was the CEO of a design firm. When I got home I found this to be true.

I called to apologize for getting off to such a bad start, and said I would like to start over again. It just goes to show you always have to be on your best behavior when you are on the phone with someone. Donít get me wrong, I was trying to be nice. This person was snippy and suspicious with me form t he start. Thatís not my problem. But I do have to be careful how I reply to this person. After all, itís a potential client I might lose.
    And that fact that she/he called me in the first place, and questioned whether I did all the work on my portfolio is a testament to my skill.

More to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I digress,

Interesting post, so in the end, did you get the client? OR do we have to wait for the More to come?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'd have probably gotten a little "snippy" too. Nah, I'd have turned it right back on them. I don't like people accusing me of anything. It sounds to me like they might have had a worse attitude than you.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I treat everyone the same. Whether you are a middle manager or the CEO of a multi-million dollar corporation, I could care less. I am professional, polite, and I know what I'm doing. I'll offer my respect, but if I don't get respect in return then that's it. I've walked out of some high dollar potential deals before. It takes a lot to stand up for yourself and what you believe in.... regardless of the situation or who you're talking to.

Hopefully this will work out for the best. But you have to think to yourself - if you were just chatting on the phone and it went this poorly, how would it be working together? Best of luck w/ the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stress interview, which generally consists of long periods of silence, the challenging of opinions, seeming to be unfriendly or brusque, and other attitudes directed toward making you feel uncomfortable.
    First, if someone asks for a callback at a better time, dont assume they are doing it for your benefit, then...

You should do some research about interviewing styles, might help you in the next instance. In the end, suck it up and act like a pro. Never let anyone under your skin, it is your job to turn a negative to a positive.

Good luck with the rest of the callbacks...