User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Apple's marketing is better than Microsoft's

Atleast in India.

One of the Carvings in India (where computers are rare, very very rare) features a mac. I just had to take a picture!

Even copy machines are unheard of. When we asked the Resort manager to make a copy of our bill he just wrote down our bill verbatim on another sheet of paper and signed it. Thats the copy machine. So, I was surprised to see the Apple logo!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love that, along with the new Apple + Intel ad.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical
    Even copy machines are unheard of. When we asked the Resort manager to make a copy of our bill he just wrote down our bill verbatim on another sheet of paper and signed it. Thats the copy machine. So, I was surprised to see the Apple logo!
    That's weird. I work for Xerox and we have tonnes of branches in India.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Hello Xerox Support, Madhusudhana speaking."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozentoast

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK
    That's weird. I work for Xerox and we have tonnes of branches in India.
    Just because a bunch of call center workers are hired in a particular location doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about/seen the product they support.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Just because a bunch of call center workers are hired in a particular location doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about/seen the product they support.
    Very true - That's why you tend to go round in circles to explain/ solve the problem. I personally don't have a problem with call centres around the world but I woul like the people on the other end to know what they are doing.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that all the MS ads I've seen are really boring and seem like they'd only appeal to old people. While I don't see Mac ads, the iPod ads were a huge success.

Apple also has product placement, and I notice them when I see it. I always blurt out when I see a Mac anywhere. Just the other day I was watching Unbreakable with my family and towards the end I stood up and made sure everyone knew that there were three PowerMacs (older generation ones) at the desk.

See this is where Apple is better. How many people go around and talk about how much they like Microsoft. Everyone just uses it. Apple has create passoniate users, so help along with the promotion.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hawk,
    In the city there are big offices and you can seriously find Xerox on every street but this place was like 2 hours from the city. it's a touristy place, not exactly the boondocks. There are quite the few businesses there that should have at the least a copy machine!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ
    Very true - That's why you tend to go round in circles to explain/ solve the problem. I personally don't have a problem with call centres around the world but I woul like the people on the other end to know what they are doing.
    That's a problem with all call centers, not just ones in a particular location. I can get someone from the US to help me with my Comcast cable equipment, but can they really help me instead of just reading from a script? Usually not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They should just publish these scripts, cut out the middle man. Or is a lack of an FAQ keeping people in jobs?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No its just that people want to get into somethine "different" and get a Apple product.

And of course, kids ask for the stuff on x-mas, or just buy it with their own money.

Personally I know how to conserve money and not waste it on unneeded items.

Windows Machine = can get them as low as $300 (maybe even lower)
    Windows Laptop = $500
    Apple Machine = as low as $500
    Apple Laptop = $1000 (for a TINY screen)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt be suprised if that ad gets taken off the air. Intel have complained about it already.

OT...some reason whenever i press the apostrophe key in Firefox, it opens up the "Find" toolbar.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't know that Apple was going to include (or maybe change) Intel in their machines... Not sure if I like this... One of the things I liked the most about Macs was that they used PowerPC...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    Didn't know that Apple was going to include (or maybe change) Intel in their machines... Not sure if I like this... One of the things I liked the most about Macs was that they used PowerPC...
    Do you run many programs that use Altivec heavily, because that's about the only reason one should prefer PPC to intel. Otherwise they're pretty neutral on each other (except in mobile computing where Intel is ahead of everyone).

Apple Laptop = $1000 (for a TINY screen)
    People pay a premium for tiny screens, and Apple's a bargain compared to some if all you take into account is screen res.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I fell in love with PowerPC more than 10 years ago. I used to work for Bull (a French version of IBM). At the time, they work developing a new web server together with IBM. The systems was a RISC6000 based on PowerPC (which was 64 bit already then) and it was scalable (it could use up to 8 processors).

I don't know how the processors market is right now. I know Intel has the lead in sales, but not 100% sure that about efficiency and power.

I do not have a Mac, but it was the only RISC6000 PowerPC system that I would have been able to buy... Only that I have always ended up buying a normal Intel based PC because they were so much cheaper...

Still, if only for architecture, I have always considered RISC6000 so much better.

Having said that, I am everything but an expert when it comes to hardware.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    I don't know how the processors market is right now. I know Intel has the lead in sales, but not 100% sure that about efficiency and power.
    Pentium M laptops tend to get longer battery life than G4s on average. True, if you're using a 17" laptop monster with a desktop processor you won't get more than an hour or so of battery life, but those don't use Intel's mobile processors.

On desktop processors, Intel and AMD both have power consumption issues but people don't usually care on desktops unless they have an underpowered power supply.