SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question connect remotely to mysql db

I would like to figure out a way to have all of my client's websites connect to a central db (hopefully MySQL) and retrieve shipping costs that way, even if they're not on the same server. This will make it easier if the costs are raised again (like they were on Jan 1). Anybody have any ideas?

Unless anyone knows of a way to connect to weight => cost USPS shipping info with some other service?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Essentially a mysql user is created in the central database. In the host field, instead of Localhost, it will be % so that connections from other servers are allowed. It might be a good idea to give that user limited powers - ie, just SELECT etc.

Then the connecting databases will connect to the central server as that new user, instead of to the "localhost" as they normally would.

Taking a punt, I think the USPS provide APIs to allow queries like you are suggesting,
    http://www.usps.com/webtools/welcome.htm
    Or you can parse their files:
    http://www.usps.com/ratecase/_csv/Priority.csv
    Additionally, I'm sure with all the ecommerce stuff around you could find a nice straight-forward example somewhere...

HTH
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my god, thank you for that link to the USPS-hosted web tools! I don't know why I wasn't able to find that before (sounds like they need to rethink their navigation, I say self-centeredly).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattalexx
    oh my god, thank you for that link to the USPS-hosted web tools! I don't know why I wasn't able to find that before (sounds like they need to rethink their navigation, I say self-centeredly).
    I agree, I knew it would be there but I probably clicked every link before I found it (there is a "BUSINESS" link that opens the cookie jar).