SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a Breadcrumb Trail PHP Script

Does anyone know where I can get a PHP script that will generate a Breadcrumb Trail. I need one that of course works but is well documented also. Failing a PHP solution, a Javascript solution would be good.

You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch blac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by "Breadcrumb Trail"? Do you mean site navigation like at the top of this forum -

Home > Site Area > Another Site Area > Current Site Area ?

You can generate that fairly easily if you're using a database to generate your pages - then depending on which fields you use to generate the page, you can have the page determine where you are.

I'd need some concrete understanding of your site structure to provide any usable code for you.

-- Jough
    My Dynamic Site in Action:
    Poetry X Poetry Archive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah Jough, that's what I'm trying to do. At this point I'm just starting the site therefore I want to set it up to accomodate the process. I wasn't intending to generate pages from a database although I could as I intend to have a MySql database. What do you mean by having a database generate the pages? Could you give me an overview of this concept? I tried a PHP script from this URL:

http://evolt.org/article/Breadcrumbs...token=46212870

I've tried to test it but can't get it to work. You can look at the bottom of the page for a post indicating the problem. I've gotten no response so I'm looking for another script. Mabye you can figger out this script if your interested.

You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch blac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would advise using that cookie-cutter script, as: a) it probably won't do exactly what you want (and certainly won't unless you understand it enough to modify it) and b) is quite generic - it may work for some, but I think you'd need a bit of PHP experience to make it work well, and it's waaaaay inefficient, but that's another story.

If you're new to PHP, as I was two months ago, the best piece of advice that I can pass to you is to try to do everything yourself. Sometimes you don't have to try to reinvent the wheel - like, I wouldn't bother making a discussion board when there are already so many fine ones out there. Why do all of the extra work if you don't have to?

But something like leaving a "breadcrumb trail" for navigation is something you could *easily* implement for yourself.

You could derive the breadcrumbs several ways - this script 'hacks' the URL path of the file - which will work (usually) as long as you're consistent with how you upload things - you have to make sure you put things in the right place. But what if something's in the "wrong" place?

I use a "breadcrumb trail" on my poetry site: http://www.plagiarist.com/poetry/

but I don't have much of a trail to follow - I set the author's name by the author_id field of the current poem, and the page is created by including another file from my database... it's not really that complicated, although it sounds that way.

I know you said that you're just getting started, but it may help you to decide on how you *want* something to work, and to write that out, or even draw a picture of it on paper. When you're designing the site's layout and navigation, don't worry about whether something can be done - there are few things that you can imagine that you can't do with a lot of ingenuity and a little know-how.

The know-how will come with time. The ingenuity... well, you either have it or you don't. But I've found that posting really specific questions for specific problems on BB's like this one has been *really* helpful to me.

But I don't really know what to tell you without knowing more about your site, its structure, what you're trying to accomplish, etc.

I realise that you too may not know all of that yet. That's okay. I'd say if you haven't started on generating content yet then don't worry about the navigation (yet). The structure of the content will likely give you clues as to how to display it.

I would strongly suggest that you separate out form from content right from the start, though. To that end, you can use CSS to define styles and fonts and classes that can save you a LOT of time when you're making your pages. Some things *do* need to be done ahead of time.

Keep posting as you make some progress. And feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions.

Yours,

-- Jough
    My Dynamic Site in Action:
    Poetry X Poetry Archive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this recent post http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=32394

It creates the trail based on the names of your directories. The script should be included on every page that you want to have the breadcrumbs trail on.
    -- It works in subdirectories.
    Last edited by zoordaan; Sep 9, 2001 at 12:08.