SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with people not wanting to use Paypal?

I've read in other forums that if a site is selling something through Paypal, the visitor will just turn back without giving the site a second look. I've been using Paypal since their beginnings, and I've never had a problem with them. I'm curious, do any of you know..what's with people *not* wanting to use it?

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately I haven't had a case yet where someone *doesn't* want to use it. I too have used it for a long time now, and have yet to have a single problem with them.

I would say 90% of the customers I deal with use PayPal, the remaining 10% pay by check/money order...but not because they hate it..because they haven't signed up for it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering the same thing. I provide it as an option for my clients, but I also have standard credit card processing. I think it's easy for the client and a lot of people do like it, but you'll always have some. I think maybe some people are still kind of skeptical about "e-mailing money" and new technologies like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to only purchase something through a site that has their own valid cert, with their company name on it. I like to know for certain who i'm paying and that they are a real business. I think it makes them look a lot more professional. If I was working with a Freelancer or a smaller company that couldn't afford to setup this, they'd have to convince me in some way or another that they are a legitimate operation. Generally, if I was working with them that would probably be enough. I would never use it for recurring payments, just a one time deal. I also just don't care for the third party billing and it's always the last choice.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The deal with Paypal is that customers do not want to have to "sign up" with Paypal for a one time purchase. Clients are going with other services because their customers will just not signup - why does Paypal insist on making a customer signup with Paypal to give a credit card.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I have been told I will get $5 from Paypal - well I have never gotten anything, because to get $5, as I understand it, I have to give them $100. This may be a good deal, but I like the facts up front.

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This article appeared in October 2001 issue of PCWorld which I received today. It focuses much attention on PayPal: http://www.pcworld.com/resource/prin...d,57964,00.asp

To your success,

Jim Conley II
    CEO/Founder - MerchantSeek
    Search FREE for a Merchant Account Provider based on your business needs and budget. We're your one stop information source on payment acceptance.
    Visit us at http://www.merchantseek.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it also has something to do with profesionalism, people dont understand the costs involved in accepting CC, not to mention a trust thing, would you trust a bussiness that had to run next door to use there eftpos machine when ever you wanted to pay by plastic?

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent point iTec! Professionalism is a very key requirement to running a successful business. Period.

To Your Success,

Jim Conley II
    Get FREE copy of "Top 3 Merchant Account Pitfalls REVEALED" -
    http://www.discount-merchant-account.com
    Touch-Tone Credit Card Processing - $39 setup & $5/month

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you why I don't and never again will use PayPal. They tried to steal over $3,000 from me. They locked my account of 'suspicious activity' and after faxing in my license, my bank statements, and everything else they wanted several times plus several phone calls they still had it locked. It wasn't until I submitted them to the BBB that the unlocking went through. If you plan on doing large volume (note I only transferred INTO my account $700 and then a week later $2500 to get my account locked, nothing else) then I suggest you get a real CC processing company. All I wanted after the locking was my money back, I figured since I transfered the money in to get it locked, the least they could do was transfer it back to my bank account since they refused to unlock the account. Not a prayer. Two hurrahs for the BBB.

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Leif,

Can you supply me the email address on the account? I would like to see what transpired. Did you receive a fair amount of chargebacks?
    Regards,
    Damon
    PayPal Consumer Relations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What's with people not wanting to use Paypal?

Originally posted by Sparkie
    I've read in other forums that if a site is selling something through Paypal, the visitor will just turn back without giving the site a second look. I've been using Paypal since their beginnings, and I've never had a problem with them. I'm curious, do any of you know..what's with people *not* wanting to use it?
    Even though they say it's international, most of the world population cannot use it.
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use pay pal. The customer service is VERY bad. Too many auto respondors answering notes. Example:

I had someone pay me 2x for something. I wrote to pay pal. Took 2 times, then I gave up and called them. Received an answer on line too.

I followed their directions to the "t" including telling them when I did what they requested on top of the note they sent me with directions etc. 4 emails later, and four auto respondors later, I gave up and called them.

So I pray everytime I use them that no one hits the wrong button or does something a little off... cause the best way to get info from them is to call 888-221-1161 OH... don't bother to ask for the full name of a person at pay pal... they dont' give out last names... only extension numbers.

Oh well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far we have had good experiences using PayPal for our web site. When we started our store we used CCNow but recently changed to PayPal, 9% fee is just too much. In the future we may get a merchant account, but first we need to grow a little bit more. Everything step by step.
    The American Store for Comics and Graphic Novels.
    All items are 10%-50% OFF. Flat-Rate Shipping. Previews!
    NEW: Additional 5% OFF, use coupon "SP"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best alternative is to offer both types of payment methods...Merchant/Paypal. I chose to do that on my site. If they choose Paypal thats great because you don't lose any profit. PayPal is currently available in the following countries:
    Argentina
    Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Canada
    China
    Costa Rica
    Denmark
    Dominican Republic
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Greece
    Hong Kong
    Iceland
    India
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Luxembourg
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Portugal
    Singapore
    South Africa
    South Korea
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    United Kingdom

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi mariasplace,

Can you provide a little more detail on the customer issue?

Auto-responders are used to match customer inquiries (based on customer comments) as much as possible, but they are not always going to work. The user sent you payment 2x, but you were looking to do what with the paymen? I need to know where this was going. Were you going to send payment back to the sender and needed to know what to do?

My apologies if the experience was not positive.
    Regards,
    Damon
    PayPal Consumer Relations