SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Drop em if you got em
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An article manager with variables in the articles?

I'm just about to have something custom built for me, but you never know what's out there that you can't find, so I thought I'd make a post first and see.

What I'm looking for is an article manager that allows me to have a dynamic variable within the article so that the article can be customized per person, like commercial emails in a way.

Example:
    article 1 has three spots that are dynamic - first name, last name, city
    article 2 has four spots that are dynamic - first name, city, state, country

The articles are then sent to the individual for pickup.

Does anyone know if anything like this exists?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Textpattern allows you to run PHP in posts, and I believe WordPress can do the same with a plugin if not natively. You can just send somebody a link like:
    http://yoursite.com/article/23/form-...ia&city=london

Then use PHP $_GET variables in your article to display what's in the querystring. It's probably not the greatest solution to your problem but it is a free solution

Drop em if you got em
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the post, but I'm looking for everything to be stored (which will then be deleted shortly from the db after pickup).

The links would probably be something like:
    article/156/15654894651as164a84/
    The 156 being the article id and the random string after it being the extra info id.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VodkaFish
    I appreciate the post, but I'm looking for everything to be stored (which will then be deleted shortly from the db after pickup).

The links would probably be something like:
    article/156/15654894651as164a84/
    The 156 being the article id and the random string after it being the extra info id.
    You could write the necessary PHP code to query the database and store what you need as variables inside your post or your template, then use the variables in your post.

Drop em if you got em
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've got a very good idea how to go about this, as I was going to have it built for me, just curious if anything like it was out already. Doesn't seem like it as I look around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of an app that does this out of the box. The only CMS that would make it easier would be Drupal which has the basics built in and would not require too much more to implement. The module you want to look into modifying would be the flexinode.module