SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site Descriptions.

What do you do to come up with good site description (or alternate ones anyway) I signed up at burstmedia and they wanted me to submit a site description for targeted advertising, I submitted the site description I've been using for two years and they rejected it. Do you go to similiar sites and see what other people have done that differs from yours, or something else? It's a music band fan site so their isn't much I can do with a description (or is there?). thanks.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually search on search engines for similar sites to mine. I look at the high ranking sites and see what they have in their descriptions. I get a general idea of what is working and make one up from there. You should place your most important keywords in the beginning of your description.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moospot, I don't think he was talking about search engine meta tag descriptions, so putting keyboards in there doesn't serve too much of a purpose. Just make sure your description describes your site to the fullest extint and it entices people to read your description and visit your site. Here's what I use nowadays:
    Sports Central goes beyond the scores with cutting-edge commentary, in depth insight and commentary by fans, for fans.
    Another aspect may have nothing to do with your description. It may have to do with your site's topic. I know with BURST!, they don't accept all sites (who does?). Their music field may be oversaturated and thus they may not be accepting new sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got accepted to burst, but then a few days later they sent me an e-mail that said:

BURST! needs your help in selling targeted advertising for your site. Below are several important things
    you can do to help make it possible for our sales staff to place your site on targeted advertising
    proposals.

1. If you have not already done so, load our demographic survey. Your site has a valuable audience,
    and we want to know more about it! Our survey is completely anonymous and data is only shown in
    aggregate.
    2. Write a clear, concise description of your adcode. Be certain to mention all of your content.
    a. Compose your AdCode description in a text file and copy
    b. Access "SiteDesktop" as it appears in the navigation bar of your MemberDesktop.
    c. Access "Site Description" in the Site Profile pages and click "Enter"
    d. Paste your description into the dialog box and "Save".
    e. Member Services will review your description, assign content categories and notify you via email upon
    approval.
    f. Continue to publish your great content! Fresh content attracts a loyal audience, so keep up the good
    work!
    And when I sent them my usual description they rejected it, that message said:

Dear Publisher:

Your adcode description has been rejected.

Please re-submit one that is lengthier and offers more insight into the site's content and nature.

This will increase the likelihood of it being selected for higher paying targeted campaigns.

Please email us with any questions you may have.

Thank you.

Member Services
    While it not a thrilling fantastic description it's the one I've used for like to years (and I've used it with DMOZ, Yahoo, and most other search engines)

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    moospot, I don't think he was talking about search engine meta tag descriptions, so putting keyboards in there doesn't serve too much of a purpose. Just make sure your description describes your site to the fullest extint and it entices people to read your description and visit your site.
    I wasn't talking about the meta descriptions either, but rather the descriptions in the search listings. Sometimes looking at high ranked sites can give you an idea of what you should use as your own site description.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what Moospot is getting at, actually. And incidentally, putting at least *one* of your keywords or phrases in that description you submit, will help you no matter how a site uses its "search" function. And though it *should* help, even if it doesn't, it certainly won't *hurt*.

Actually, some of the best ways to determine how to come up with a great description, is to try and become a "Zeal" editor.

Have a look - http://www.zeal.com - and sign up to become an editor. In order to add anything to their database (and these are the non-profit arm of LookSmart - just recently purchased - so the information in that database gets filtered into LookSmart for free), you need to take and pass their "test". Taking that test gives you a pretty good idea of what descriptions work and what descriptions are likely not to work.

Good luck!

--Jodi
    FatCow Web Hosting
    $99 / year + Domain & incl. outstanding tech & customer support.
    100mb + 100 emails + 5GB Transfer + Shopping Cart