SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A cart that will also allow me to write Articles??

Hi Guys,

I'm just setting up a new ecommerce site. I was planning on using OsCommerce and getting a contest up and running for the design.

However, the cart will need to allow me too write 'Articles' related to the products, adn then link to them from the products.

e.g. Say i was setting up a website to sell car parts, I might like to write a set of 'How to.... Guides' to changing an exhaust on a Porsche. Then on the 'Porsche Exhausts' page, it might say 'Related Articles' and then 'How to change an exhaust on a Porsche 911'. Likewise the Guide will also link to any Porsche exhaust I have for sale.

Can this be doen in OsCommerce, or can anyone recommend a good shopping cart I can use to do this/

Thanks,
    chodges84

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything can be done. It just matters on if you or the person programming has the knowledge to create it.

This would most likely be a custom module with most shopping carts. Search around a bit at the big names.

I personally use www.x-cart.com for most of my PHP e-commerce projects.

What you want to do is somewhat easy through x-cart since they have a built in news module. By duplicating the news module, renaming the duplicated databases, adding an associative database (to associate articles to prodcuts), editing a few admin files and a simple sql query and loop on the product details you have your article list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since OsCommerce is open-source you should bable to find someone that can code something to work with it.
    Josh Ulfers

SitePoint Enthusiast SoftwareSquared's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try developing in Joomla! - www.joomla.org
    and download and install the virtuemart module - http://virtuemart.net/

Using these two in conjunction you should be able to develop what you are looking for. Cheers
    Luc Arnold
    founder
    SpicyWebDesigners.com
    My Personal Blog - Pure Web Analytics