User Tag List

Thread: "Primer" Needed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Primer" Needed

My question: can someone point me to the specific steps I need to go through to allow my client to do online credit-card processing without going through a Yahoo Merchant account (or similar)?

I'm also open to recommendations.

Boring details: I have clients that are ready to do online credit-card processing for conference registrations. I already have my custom application that collects all of the info I need, including the credit card info. I am comfortable with SSL and basic programming in ASP.

Because of the customized nature of the info (hotel reservations, etc.) and the back-end admin, I really want to use my program - my fear is that if I go through a yahoo merchant account, I can take them up through the registration, write this info to the db, then send them to payment but...then someone could register but skip paying.

Thank you!

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh Ulfers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks (love the icon). This is helpful.

So let me get this straight, though. From what I'm reading, if a small business that has an in-store VISA terminal wants to start accepting credit card orders over the web (not real-time, just collecting info via a cart), they MUST have a Secure Gateway and an internet merchant account on their website? What if someone emails them credit card info?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are storing credit card numbers there are many strict security precautions that you must take. Emailing credit card info is also totally insecure.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes... I understand, and that's not the question. We use SSL and store off-site.
    The question is: can the store use their regular in-store cash registers to process online transactions without needing a gateway just using their regular Visa/MC merchant accounts?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Internet cannot be co-mingled with retail sales Visa and MasterCard require that all Internet transactions send an ECI flag with each and every transaction. No current retail credit card terminals support ECI thus Internet sales cannot be processed through them. Plus retail stores have very different rate structures then Internet businesses so you probably will want a separate account for your Internet sales as your rates for keying sales into your credit card terminal will probably cost you more overall.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay... I see. I didn't know that.

Now, I already have built my custom application that collects all of the info I need, including the credit card info and a back-end admin so the client can review registrations. So to make this work right, I need to add a gateway (like authorize.net simple) when they click "Submit" that will process the card, do the depositing to the client's new internet merchant account in real-time, and then let me display my custom screen of acknowledgement while writing my needed information (hotels, contact info, etc.) to my database.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is the gateway (or gateway "link") all the software I need?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Gateway is all that you need. It acts just like a credit card terminal does in a retail store.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stymiee, you're a life saver. ... one more question.

So if the gateway approves the transaction, the screen says "Transaction Approved", and that amount is then processed by the gateway and deposited in the merchant account. The store then opens my back-end admin, and sees ASP code I've added to the application that indicates "approved", and knows that their visitor has paid. They don't need to "run" the credit card through their terminal. And the internet merchant account the store has determines how they receive that payment and how it appears in their checking account.

Have I got it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have the right idea.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, stymiee. I'm sure that after I go through this once, it will become clearer. I just wanted to have a good handle on it before quoting things to the store.

THNAK YOU for taking your time to help us newbies! I owe you a case of your favorite brew!