SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Familiar With Liguid? Also DNS Question.

From what I have read the Liguid template system is designed to allow users of a RoR web app edit the look of "their" site. How does this work with the end-user in practical terms? Has anyone used it? Do you provide a generic template to the end-user who then modifies and uploads it back into the system?

Second question, and I know it's not directly Ruby related. I see a lot of RoR subscription web apps popping up, like basecamp, shopify (coming soon), etc.. With these services, would it be possible to have your domain name point to them? I mean more than just redirection.

If your account is joe.updatelog.com and you want your domain, joe.com to point to it. But it should be completely hidden to the end user, for example, if you enter joe.com/login - it should request the info from joe.updatelog.com/login - but still say joe.com/login in the browser's address bar. Is this possible? If not, how are others dealing with this? Do they just not care about using someone else's domain name?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by jpease; Jan 10, 2006 at 18:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liquid is very similar to Smarty, no? I would imagine that it would be a similar experience to what PHP folks using Smarty have dealt with.

Looking at the site, it appears that Liquid solves the same problem as Smarty, allowing dynamic content in while keeping the designer from being able to kill the application.

Whoa! That second question is very different. I would imagine you'd just point another domain at the same dispatcher and you'd be good to go. Why not?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpease
    How does this work with the end-user in practical terms? Has anyone used it? Do you provide a generic template to the end-user who then modifies and uploads it back into the system?
    That would work.

Try signing up to Blogger, and experiment with how they let user change templates. Also take a look at MySpace. Compare and contrast, do what fits your app the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jpease
    With these services, would it be possible to have your domain name point to them?
    You'd be best to contact them directly. They might not like you rebranding their applications. Or they might provide plans in which you can do exactly that. Send off an email to their per-sales support.

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougBTX
    You'd be best to contact them directly. They might not like you rebranding their applications. Or they might provide plans in which you can do exactly that. Send off an email to their per-sales support.
    Except, I want to be the service provider not the customer!

I was just using updatelog.com as an example. I guess the example was kind of confusing.

Thanks for the replies.