User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist adesignrsa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wordpress or Textpattern

Hi all,

I know there was an article posted recently, and this might not be the most appropriate place to post this question, but here it is anyway.

For the record, I am using wordpress on my site and blog and am quite happy with it with a few small exceptions. I dont know if textpattern is going to be my saving grace but it's worth asking other people's opinions.

The site I am considering using one or the other on is www.circuitchaser.com and I have already put up a dummy site at www.adesign.co.za/t.

What I'd like to know is what other people's opinions of these open source packages are and who would recommend what.

I also need a gallery solution and have been playing with Gallery2 which can be seen at www.adesign.co.za/gallery. Gallery seems to be the best choice, but any advice otherwise would be appreciated.

I would like to have something that integrates a gallery and a blog as tightly and seamlessly as possible. So if you think wordpress or texpattern and gallery arent my best choices please advise. (not mambo please... if I hear the word mambots again I'll scream! ).

Appreciate any and all advice.

~R
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are gallery plugins for both Textpattern and WordPress. Which software to use is a matter of preference; most people prefer WordPress but I lean slightly towards Textpattern myself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I really like wordpress, but Texpattern has something about it that I like. Are there any solid foundations for your choice?

I have been spammed horribly on Wordpress. So much so that I had to turn comments off. I have heard that Textpattern is also quite vulnerable to spam... any knowledge on this aspect?

Thanks for the links btw...
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Textpattern comes with a "Preview Comment Before Submitting" feature, which apparently turns off a lot of spam-bots, but not all...

SitePoint Evangelist spinmaster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    There are gallery plugins for both Textpattern and WordPress.
    Can you recommend any other good gallery plugins for Textpattern??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    Textpattern comes with a "Preview Comment Before Submitting" feature, which apparently turns off a lot of spam-bots, but not all...
    Yeah, I also subscribe to Mr Oxton's feed. This is why I know that textpattern is not the silver bullet I am looking for.

~R
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmaster
    Can you recommend any other good gallery plugins for Textpattern??
    Here's another one: Albumpattern

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    I've had about 2 spam comments in the ~year I've been on Textpattern, and both looked like they were manually entered. Either way I like my odds

As for why I chose to stick with Textpattern over WordPress, I like TxP's section/category hierarchy and make use of it on some sites. I've also gotten used to Textile and can bang out writing faster with it than entering markup by hand or just entering text and hoping for the best when it shows up on the front page of my site.

edit: That said, WordPress is still a great piece of software and the one I recommend to most people, since it has less of a learning curve to get familiar with its internals.