SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Professional CMS?

Does anyone here know of a professional CMS that gives you the opportunity to customize the layout 100%? We'll gladly pay a couple of thousand dollars for the CMS if it's that much better from the ones you get for free. (Typo3, Mambo, Joomla etc..) We want to be able to create the website layout exactly the way we want with modules, but we don't want to worry about the backend programming part too much. Just as a sidenote - our website is going to be a huge portal with a large community.

Most likely the CMS type CNN, MTV or ESPN are using are custome made, but we're essentially looking for that type of CMS. If we have to have a CMS custom made for us, that's fine as well - any companies you guys know of that can help us design a CMS from scratch or a company that sells excellent fully customizable CMS solutions?

Thanks in advance for any feedback..
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    Your dream can come true - if you have the courage to pursue it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What language are you looking for the CMS to be written in?
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had php with a MySQL backend running on a Apache server before and that has worked like a charm. The main thing is that the portal is stable and secure. Some people have told us to go with jsp or asp, if you have any other options please let us know ses.

Thanks for the quick reply btw..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamLevel
    Does anyone here know of a professional CMS that gives you the opportunity to customize the layout 100%?

You should take a look at www.doitlive.com and the Items module. 100% customizable, and the most flexible "cheap" cms I've tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WebSite baker's templates seem to be very flexible

granted i havnt got round to doing much with them, but there's just one index file and a css file controlling 98% of the layout. i think that if and when i go to do something with it, i should be able to do something decent

Subdreamer is meant to be flexible too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamLevel
    Does anyone here know of a professional CMS that gives you the opportunity to customize the layout 100%? We'll gladly pay a couple of thousand dollars for the CMS if it's that much better from the ones you get for free. (Typo3, Mambo, Joomla etc..) We want to be able to create the website layout exactly the way we want with modules, but we don't want to worry about the backend programming part too much. Just as a sidenote - our website is going to be a huge portal with a large community.

Most likely the CMS type CNN, MTV or ESPN are using are custome made, but we're essentially looking for that type of CMS. If we have to have a CMS custom made for us, that's fine as well - any companies you guys know of that can help us design a CMS from scratch or a company that sells excellent fully customizable CMS solutions?

Thanks in advance for any feedback..
    If you are looking for a custom CMS, best to find a programmer to do it for you. There are some amazing programmers on SitePoint, I'd make a post in Looking to Hire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks to you all for the feedback so far. We'll look into the different options at hand Hopefully some of them will be the right solution for us..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We want to be able to create the website layout exactly the way we want with modules, but we don't want to worry about the backend programming part too much. Just as a sidenote - our website is going to be a huge portal with a large community.
    TYPO3 can be seriously considered.
    You can use it with vBulletin.
    2 weeks ago I finished vBulletin 3.5 to TYPO3 3.8.1 integarion for community site.
    Russian TYPO3 Laboratory: vBulletin to TYPO3 integration
    www.typo3lab.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any new templates coming joomlart

Club member here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say Typo3, Mambo or Drupal. All three have large communities and have had exceptional security over a longer period than the others.

As far as a commercial CMS goes I recommend Sitellite which also just can out with and opensource version. So you can check it out and purchase a commercial license later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way is just to program one yourself. I've done a couple for some of my sites and they work pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vrom - TYPO3 is on our list, but we've read a few bad things about it so we've put it further down on the list. However, the integration with vBulletin is interesting because we're developing a huge portal with a forum community included.

joomlart - I tried Mambo a while ago, but it didn't give us the 100% design flexibility. we were always somewhat limited with our design. Has this changed in joomla?

Carl - we'll look into the Sitellite CMS, see how it works. Thanks for the tip..

Achbob - that's exactly what we want to avoid because we don't have the time to worry about the entire backend part. We need to find a company that either builds a CMS from scratch or sells a CMS product that matches our needs - which again is 100% flexibility. Do you know of a company that builds pro CMS's from scratch?

Thanks in advance to all of you