SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Searching my 1 table database

Sorry for the following non-normalised database, but i am a little desperate so this is the easiest way.

1 db- 1tbl

Now I want to search my entire db on $searchword
    why doesn't the following sql-query work:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE name LIKE '%$searchword%' AND city LIKE '%$searchword%' ORDER BY name OR city DESC LIMIT 0, 25";

Grtz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens when you run this through? Does it just give you an empty set result?

Make sure it's not searching for "%$searchword%" and is actually parsing the variable.. To check, you can alter the string to

$sql = "SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE name LIKE '%".$searchword."%' AND city LIKE '%".$searchword."%' ORDER BY name OR city DESC LIMIT 0, 25";

Otherwise I'm not really sure. Have you tried to run the query while logged into mysql? Was it successful?

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW what error are you getting? I think its because of your ORDER BY clause, you can't use OR in it. Try
    Code:
    $sql = "SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE name LIKE '%".$searchword."%' AND city LIKE '%".$searchword."%' ORDER BY name, city DESC LIMIT 0, 25";
    Also does the searchword HAVE to appear in both fields or is it either/or or both If thats the case you need to change the AND to a OR
    Code:
    $sql = "SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE name LIKE '%".$searchword."%' OR city LIKE '%".$searchword."%' ORDER BY name, city DESC LIMIT 0, 25";
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.