User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best CSS book to refer

Hi there,
    I am looking to get a strong grip on creating good web layouts using CSS. I have been using CSS extensively for maintaining font, color and form elements and not beyond that where you use CSS as abase to create layouts.

I was looking through the book reviews in Amazon and I read a lot of good things about the 'Styli'n with CSS' book. It had better comments that the Meyers. Which do you think is better?

d3jm

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Here are some other reconmmendations:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...ighlight=books

You will probably find that no one book will fulfil all your needs and you will probably need a few . You could use a manual type book for reference and looking up the correct terms and what they do and then you need a "how to" book to show you how to put it together. Then you will need an advanced book to get int the interesting stuff.

The sitepoint books are good and anything by Eric Meyer is good and his Cascading Style Sheets - The Definitive Guide (second edition) is one of the best but not aimed at beginners.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need to consider a book for reference, don't you think the w3schools website has it all?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I find the w3schools site incomplete and sometimes misleading. Its ok as a beginners guide but they miss some important points.

e.g.

On z-index they say:
    Z-index only works on elements that have been positioned (eg position:absolute!
    Which leads most beginners to believe it only works on position:absolute but they fail to mention position:relative etc.

There are other examples like this but perhaps I'm being a pit picky