SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

breaking text into columns

i was just wondering if there was an easy way to break a big block of text into columns of a table, sort of like a newspaper does...or if anyone knows a script for this that has already been written, let me know.

if there is no easy way or already-written script, i assume it could be done by basically determining the number of characters that could be contained within the given cell of a table (is there an easy function for this, or would i have to just try it and count the characters?) and then counting the number of characters in the block of text, breaking the text into words, and then from there it would be pretty straightforward. does that sound like it would be on the right track?
    my eyes are open

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bump.

can anyone offer some answers?
    my eyes are open

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help you direcrtly - except to say that there is no easy solution that I know of. The problem with enforcing that level of layout design is of course the fact that with web pages you have little control over the client the user is viewing the page through. Because I often surf from a semi-reclined posture, I tend to bump up the font size in my browser and this often leads to problems viewing pages that try to enforce strict layouts such as what you want to do. Good luck