SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when your content is taller than your height setting.. how to make the background wor

i have a layout and one container tag is called "topsection". its 954 pixels wide and the height varies because the content in the container will increase as more dynamic data is loaded. the "topsection" has a background image that is 320 pixels high. its a gradient. ive set it positioned at the bottom of the topsection layer and set not to repeat. and the background color is set to the lightest color of the gradient. that way if the data makes the div tag taller than 320, the background wont appear broken or tiled. and true enough, the data in the tags within "topsection" come out to about 370 pixels tall. what I get is the "topsection" not adjusting to 370 pixels. i know that div tags dont stretch like table, so i tried a "min-height" 320 in hopes that that would make the div tag "stretch".. then i tried "height: 100%".. nothing. how do i get this to work?

below are image examples to illustrate my problem.

there is a header div tag that is 24 pixels high, that contains the black header bars you see in the image (latest signings, announcements, etc). this is within the "topsection" tag. you should be able to see my problem from the images:

this is how it looks on the web. see the overage?

it looks fine in dreamweaver, as you can see in this image. but not on the web.

any help??

mikey

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

use a flow model with float, they don't need heights set

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, could you post an example code for me?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, i used float: left on all my main container tags, and that seemed to work!