SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unexpired cookies???

Hi! First of all...this is my first posting! I am new to this dot com business. I read the terms...so I KNOW I can't advertise it!!!...so... I started working for a GREAT company about three months ago. I really LOVE it. But, I sure do have a LOT to learn!! We are working on improving our Partner Program! Now...I have a question! We cookie indefinitely...not 30-60 days, from what I see is the "norm"!

Now, I have people say that a lot of people will "clean out " their cookies...so that doesn't mean that much! Is that true?? I wouldn't even know where to begin to do that!! YES...I am really that much of a newbie! But, I am trying to find out if that is common place, and if it is a justifiable complaint. AND...what I can do about it?

P.S. If you would like to learn about our great program..you could ask me!! As I said, I'm new, and I would LOVE to do really well here!!

Thanks SO much for any help!
    Sara
    signature

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sara,
    Welcome to sitepoint!

I manage an ad tracking system that serves cookies indefinately too. We can change this for certain clients if needed. We even delete some users cookies when they perform a specific call to action. After running the system on on particular client for about two years we found persistent or indefinate cookies are more reliable in reporting the long term residual actions made by users.

I don't know if there is a "norm" to the length of a cookies life, but if any clearing up does occur you may be better off in the long run to have persistent cookies.

Of course, a lot depends on what the cookie is used for. If you are using it for your partner program it may depend on whether your partners are compensated for return visits or just for the original visit of the user they sent you.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Thanks for the insights AND the welcome!

The cookies are used to compensate our Partners for return visitors. So...let's say a person would come to your site, and you were a Partner of ours. The person then "clicks" through and books a trip. The next year, that person remembers what a good deal they got from us, so they go to our consumer site and book another trip...you would then get the credit for the sale...and MOST importantly, the commission...providing the person did not "lose" their cookie!

So...we primarily are using them to benefit our Partners!

Thanks again for your response. I really appreciate it!
    Sara
    signature